[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://qz.com/960303/bill-nye-on-p hilosophy-the-science-gu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: wIGnl73l.jpg (144KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
wIGnl73l.jpg
144KB, 1252x1252px
https://qz.com/960303/bill-nye-on-philosophy-the-science-guy-says-he-has-changed-his-mind/

This makes me genuinely happy. There's hope for everyone.
>>
>Trump can't change his mind only I may change my mind
>>
>>9393699
I've always loved this man and now i love him even more
>>
>>9393699
>pseudo-scientist becomes pseudo-philosopher too
>name drops most basic philosophers
>shills his tv show
>bitches about trump for no reason
Yeah thanks OP, really restored my faith in le pop-science man
>>
Sorry senpai but there isn't hope for Bill, he's worse than useless, he provides ammo for the very people he tries to fight again.
>>
>>9393729
>yfw he isn't even a scientist but a engineer
>>
>>9393699
scientism is fucking gay
>>
>Nye was particularly taken by epistemology, an area of philosophy concerned with knowledge. He said he was struck by the argument that a “justified true belief” constitutes factual knowledge. Indeed, philosophy has long been instrumental in determining what facts, including scientific facts, are truly valid.

this reads like the onion
>>
>Bill Nye the Bachelor of Science Guy
>>
Another idiot has been tricked into playing the language game, good riddance.
>>
>>9393699

people on teevee should be pelted by rotting fruit and vegetables
>>
>>9393736
Engineers are the real scientists, you little shit.
>>
STEMfags get arrogant and think they're the only people alive that are moving the human race forwards. I've seen them take it out on people in every other field not just philosophy/the humanities
>>
>>9393797
Give me two years and I'll be just as qualified to talk out of my ass as this clown
>>
The article makes him sound adorable like it was all opened up to him for the first time.
But that actually scares me a bit, a famous science communicator doesn't know the basic bitch stuff about philosophy?
>>
>>9393912
>a famous science communicator doesn't know the basic bitch stuff about philosophy?
Long gone are they days of Heisenberg, Einstein and the like. None of these shit heads have even a cursory knowledge of philosophy. Their communication is altogether embarrassing when they speak on philosophy.
>>
>>9393912
Was it necessary? His brand of popscience is too pragmatic and sensationalistic for that: he is not teaching you any process, rather he is showing you phenomenons. There's not much philosophy that can be inserted in a show in which Bill Nye makes funny thigns with random chemicals the viewer knows nothing about.
>>
File: 1489148141907.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489148141907.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>9393797
>>
>>9393935
Good comment.
>>
>philosophy is not just a load of self-indulgent crap

But it is.
>>
>>9393924
Bill Nye has a degree in engineering and hosted an educational show for kids. He's a billion miles away from Einstein or Heisenberg.
>>
>>9393750
Using the scientific method for its intended purpose isn't an "ism" you goof
>>
>>9393699
What a surprise. When you actually engage with a subject instead of making assumptions based on vague and misleading generalizations you heard once upon a time you might actually learn something. Truly profound
>>
inb4 Nye eventually becomes a deist and reddit pretends he doesn't exist and they never loved him
>>
File: 8787878.jpg (112KB, 615x609px) Image search: [Google]
8787878.jpg
112KB, 615x609px
>2017 and people still take Occam’s razor seriously
>>
>>9394178
Scientism is believing in the existence of 'the scientific method' and attempting to apply it to non-scientific fields of inquiry.
>>
>>9393699
Why the fuck do you care what a children's t.v. personality says? You don't care what a picture book author thinks about literature do you? His job was to get kids interested in science and he was good at that, why should he have to be anything more?
>>
>>9393729
>>9393699

I love how this guy was just wilfully denying one of the major pieces of interaction between science and philosophy and now had decided to accept what the rest of the scientific world already does: that ultimately all we know rests on a series of assumptions that have so far not been proven false.

>>9393762

What a meme-tier thinker, holy shit. This guy is like a more science-y mythbusters.
>>
File: IMG_8761.jpg (117KB, 750x656px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8761.jpg
117KB, 750x656px
You see he's bringing his positivist baggage with him..how scientific of him. Please go back to your kids show and pushing your desire to lock up people who deny climate change
>>
>>9394684
That's not positivist at all. What do you have against analytic epistemology?
>>
>He’s unconvinced by outlandish theories, such as the argument from Oxford philosopher Nick Bostrom, widely propagated by Elon Musk, that it’s likely we’re living in a video game. “That, to me, is completely unreasonable,” Nye said.

Absolutely based
>>
>>9394828
>manages to reject autist headcanon #1
good for him, only several million more to go
>>
Not going to bother reading the article, but what philosophers do you think changed his mind /lit/?
>>
>>9395635
Stirner
>>
>>9395635
Aleksandr Dugin. He swallowed the 4thTheoryPill
>>
>>9393699
It's funny. His hate of philosophy came up yesterday in one of my classes then jot home and saw this article.
>>
>>9393924
I mean Bill Nye is a tv personality. There are still plenty of scientists out there.
>>
>>9393699
Bill Nye is an idiot, and you're all idiots for liking him.
>>
The guy is so fucking dumb it's unreal. I'll never forget the time Tucker Carlson broke his brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5L2q6hfWo
>>
>>9396882
I can't watch that drivel. They are both shamless provacateurs and their conversation is as vapid as it is useless to the public discourse.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.