[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stephen King had the most influence on American culture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: url-1.jpg (48KB, 376x490px) Image search: [Google]
url-1.jpg
48KB, 376x490px
Stephen King had the most influence on American culture than any other writer.
>>
>>9390140

His influence isn't really literary though. It's all movies and shows and shit.
>>
>>9390140
You know, I really didn't hate Stephen King that much until recently. It's obvious that he's a hack, but it never seemed like he thought of himself as more than a mediocre genre writer, so I didn't mind too much. But now that I've seen how much of a liberal cuck he is, and how he's further influencing young minds in a negative way, I genuinely do hate him.
>>
>>9390141
His work transcends its medium, faggot. Deal with it.
>>
>>9390141
not necessarily, that nigga sold a whole lot of books my dude
>>
>>9390156

sales =/= influence

I don't see much new in his work that wasn't there in Poe and Lovecraft, and I see more of those authors in recent horror fiction than I do King.
>>
>>9390140
>had the most than any other
on you...... for sure...... kid........ :^^^^^^^^^^)
>>
>>9390140
I agree
>>
We can tell you were certainly influenced
>>
>>9390171
>We

Reddit is leaking again.
>>
>>9390140

Contemporary American literary fiction that academics care about sells like shit and almost nobody cares about it (unless it gets a movie adaptation like No Country for Old Men).

But Melville, Hawthorne, Twain, Hemingway, and Steinbeck had huge impacts on American culture. I'm not sure if it is fair to say Stephen King has influenced American culture more than they did.
>>
>>9390206
>Contemporary American literary fiction that academics care about
It's all about the POCs and WOCs this days
>>
>>9390216

fuck off /pol/ fag or /pol/ baiter, whichever the fuck you are

there has been more minority literature in America in the last several decades but it hasn't stopped white writers in the slightest

also fuck you for even caring about this
>>
>>9390179
Ya, everyone who read the OP.
>>
>>9390253
It's cool when ur reading a book by a 'Latinx' author and they keep dropping the same basic spanish 101 words again and again(muh 'abuela' gets me everytime). You can always deduce what those words mean from context, it's sheer pandering. Regardless NPR soyblobs, the 'diversity' industry's managerial personnel and YA halfwits always get a tremendous near orgasmic pleasure from this. At least kill whitey screeds would be fun to read I suppose, anything else rather than such cliche ridden insufferably twee consumer twaddle
>>
>>9390280
>abuela

exactly, that always makes me roll my eyes when they're writing in english and then sprinkle in a couple spanish terms that could be easily translated directly to english words...i'm like "why u doin this man" i guess middle class whites eat it up, but if you actually talk to spanish people beyond barking orders at your maid or spanish, they don't use those terms, if a spanish fluent person is talking about their grandmother, they just say "my grandmother", shit is cringy
>>
>>9390253
>it hasn't stopped white writers in the slightest
Actually many white male writers have started taking POC pseudonyms to find publication since it's okay and even encouraged by the literary establishment to discriminate against them. Recently it was discovered that a Chinese American poet whose poem was selected by Scribner for an anthology of the year's best American poetry was actually a rinky dink white man working in a library in Bumfuck, Indiana. He had labored in obscurity for years until he adopted the name Yi-Fen Chou.

I wonder how much of the diaspora lit progressives read to make themselves feel moral and smug is actually written by white men.
>>
>>9390416
the entirety of the american literary scene is a simulacrum. Nobody even has to read the books in question as long as the reviews keep flowing, and the award ceremonies are held at the appropriate dates.
>>
Did Stephen King influence American culture or did American culture influence Stephen King?

I'd say the former because he's King.

I've read all of his earlier pre-rehab books as a teenager, 70s to 90s, Carrie to Regulators. Stopped when I started Dark Tower and switched to other literature works and philosophy.

Favourites were Firestarter for quite a long time and The Stand trilogy. His books have a world of their own and all of them are intertwined.
>>
Stephen King sold a lot of books but he didn't have any kind of significant cultural impact, nor did he capture culture at a specific moment particularly well
He writes easy horror stories, he's not somebody who made any kind of new strides like Faulkner or Hardy
He is incredibly mediocre
>>
>>9391983

Consider the reader and the environment while being incredibly forgiving. This is culture which needs identity and it's captured, King appealed to an audience which wasn't accustomed to reading or reading wasn't as widespread if not for Danielle Steele or Tom Clancy books. I'll appeal essentially to story telling in a Hollywood fashion when most books read were pulp fiction and comic books. In my exp reading King, alot of sex and sex sells. It's just a hook without any pretention to be critiqued. AFAIK King found a typewriter in his attic and just started writing stories, he wasn't exposed to any literate tradition and just vindicates his own style. Just being Devil's advocate here.
>>
>who is Mark Twain
>who is Edgar Allan Poe
>Who is H.P. "the madman" Lovecraft
>Who is Emily "The Neck" Dickinson

all these were more influential and influenced him.
>>
>he doesn't r8 Stephen King

Sure is Reddit in here.
>>
delet this
>>
>>9392296

Remember when we used to bash Justin Bieber and contributed to his fame?
>>
>>9392309
>we
>>
>>9392356

What's perceived as a current or tendency of a simulacrum, we're all on the same ship here.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.