[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: TheGreatGatsby_1925jacket.jpeg.jpg (17KB, 190x284px) Image search: [Google]
TheGreatGatsby_1925jacket.jpeg.jpg
17KB, 190x284px
>So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the poop.

Wow F Scott. This was a really well written novel until this last line here.
>>
The last line doesn't even make much sense and is seemingly nonsensical in relation to the rest of the novel.

I don't know why it's famous, frankly. At least the opening paragraph was relevant to the text.
>>
>>9389740

I gathered that Gatsby was stuck in the past and building up his possible union with Daisy into some amazing thing that, right when it looked like he would he able to achieve it, he was forced away from his goal (purposefully vague here to avoid spoiler). But yeah it was an unsatisfying final line. A car metaphor might have worked better or even a jazz music metaphor, but not a boat one especially there weren't any boats in the book so far as I remember)
>>
>>9389743
Are you memeing? It's about nostalgia, which is incredibly important to the text.
>>
File: IMG_1760.png (435KB, 417x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1760.png
435KB, 417x640px
>"Man becomes used to everything; the freaking retard!"

How to get me to stop reading in one simple sentence.
>>
>>9389957
It's not important to the text at all, unless you mean "nostalgia for that which one never experienced." Jay never had Daisy.
>>
>>9389993
It is, and I do.
>>
>>9390068
One cannot have nostalgia for that which they never experienced. It's a sham.

See: Ignorance by Milan Kundera.
>>
>>9389750
Daisy's light is on a shore, that's how the metaphor works
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.