[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how did the reformation affect the philosophical landscape? which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: martin_luther[1].jpg (472KB, 600x645px) Image search: [Google]
martin_luther[1].jpg
472KB, 600x645px
how did the reformation affect the philosophical landscape? which epistemological and metaphysical theories gained wider acceptance for example as a result of the wider intellectual change?

question rephrased: if we ignore their purely religious ideas, what were the philosophical theories spread by different protestant and catholics?
>>
/his/
>>
>>9386972
usually I would but they are a bit illiterate when it comes to philosophy
>>
>>9386967
Protestant ideas lead to liberalism and individualism, but as far as actual philosophy goes it was never very important. It only destroyed the old foundations so new ones had to be built, but there was never much of a "Protestant philosophy". It's so divided and internally incoherent it is almost always pushed to the side.
Recommendation on this, Whose Justice Which Rationality by Alsadair MacIntyre.
>>
>>9386974
Calvinism brought up the free will debate, and especially whether God is omnibenovelent.

In England the Reformation and break with Rome completely changed the way the Tudor's viewed political sovereignty.
>>
>>9387006
>Calvinism brought up the free will debate
Erasmus and Luther argued about that earlier on too
>>
>>9387015
Yeah you're right, but my point is that Calvin was the first to say flat out that God was not omnibenovelent cos of double predestination.

Had this idea come up before?
>>
>>9387020
Yes, just about everything the reformers came up with was dismissed by the theologians from 11th-15th century. Aquinas discussed it in Summa Contra Gentiles.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.