[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this guy to blame for the romanticized version of the medieval

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1039.jpg (70KB, 317x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1039.jpg
70KB, 317x500px
Is this guy to blame for the romanticized version of the medieval ages? Also what the fuck is Robin Hood doing in this?
>>
The only thing that is to blame in that book is that Ivanhoe did not went with best girl.
>>
>>9385192
Rebecca. I read this book as a child, and have never forgotten her name.

Of course he's not to blame. Some great ones by him: Kenilworth, Quentin Durward, the Heart of Midlothian.
>>
>>9385209

Amusingly, there is another author who wrote a book that follows up on the story and where Ivanhoe finally reunites with Rebecca.
>>
File: Arthur.jpg (3MB, 1067x1873px) Image search: [Google]
Arthur.jpg
3MB, 1067x1873px
>>9384686
>what is medieval ROMANCE

Romanticization of the Middle ages has been a big thing for a while desu. Orlando Furioso, the Arthurian Cycle, even Don Quixote put the idea of gallant knights and ladies into the limelight. Only recently have we really started to criticize it.
>>
>>9385192
tfw 19th century fiction is literally Anime
>>
>>9385209
How's The Talisman? I have it and am planning to read it soon after my current backlog
>>
>>9386279
>Only recently

What is The Enlightenment?
>>
>>9386279
The difference is that Don Quijote made fun of it and critizice the idea of romanticized chilvary from a renaissance point of view. While Orlando Furioso, the Arthurian Cycle and the Song of Roland are pivotal pieces of medieval idillyc thought.
>>
>>9386289
Haven't read it yet, but I do have a copy-- an old Dutton\Dent with a bright yellow cover. Another one of his I've been meaning to read is The Antiquarian.
>>
>>9385300
Did u read it? Is it as bad as I'm imagining?
>>
Waverley is much better anyway.
>>
File: Tartan-Tat[1].jpg (315KB, 1024x823px) Image search: [Google]
Tartan-Tat[1].jpg
315KB, 1024x823px
He's responsible for turning my country's culture into a tartan-tat shit-fest.

also, fuck you mel gibson.
>>
File: MacDiarmid in library.jpg (96KB, 810x540px) Image search: [Google]
MacDiarmid in library.jpg
96KB, 810x540px
>>9388015
The Scottish cringe in full cringe.
Embrace the tat, Anon. Or at least laugh at how much foreigners love it. Every country has stupid tourist shit, and every country has a fact-shy romanticised past, but we're the only ones that get all embarrassed by it.
>>
>>9387942

No, but I plan to.
>>
>>9388746
What is the name?
>>
>>9388789

"Rebecca And Rowena: A Romance Upon Romance" by William Makepeace Thackeray
>>
>>9389040
Will have to check out. Read the Four Georges not too long ago; like Thackery's essay mode.
>>
>>9388746
Post when you do. I'll be one of the 3 or 4 responding!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.