[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me make a reading list /lit/ I want to hit the majors, what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1942.jpg (508KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1942.jpg
508KB, 1200x1600px
Help me make a reading list /lit/
I want to hit the majors, what are some books I cant miss?
>>
Waverley
Pride & Prejudice
Great Expectations
Ulysses
You Can't Go Home Again
The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra
>>
>>9384286
The Odyssey
The Iliad
Metamorphoses
The Aenid
The Divine Comedy
Paradise Lost
Dead Souls
War & Peace
Crime and Punishment
In Search of Lost Time
Don Quixote
Moby Dick
>>
I enjoyed Slaughterhouse 5, 1984, and Brave New World, anything like that?
>>
>>9384430
Fahrenheit 451 fits in there. Also, We by Zamyatin and The Foundation Pit by Andrei Platonov
>>
>>9384319
This, just add Canterbury Tales and maybe Beowulf
>>
>>9384458
>>9384319
>>9384295
Anything more contemporary?
>>
>>9384866
>I want to hit the majors
>Anything more contemporary
kys
>>
>>9384866
>I want to hit the majors
>anything more contemporary
Wew lad, most of the important books in history are old, but if you want essential contemporary books you can check this http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html#chaos
>>
>>9384968
I added most of what they said, i just dont want exclusively old material.
Majors and contemporary aren't mutually exclusive
>>
>>9384978
Jesus you guys, i want new and old.
>>
File: ChzG_zrUUAEhfx8.jpg (27KB, 600x328px) Image search: [Google]
ChzG_zrUUAEhfx8.jpg
27KB, 600x328px
>>9384991
Did you even check that link? It sums up the entire essentials of the western canon from 2000 BC to the 20th century. I even linked you specifically to the 20th century page
>>
>>9385002
I was just responding to the criticism that i wss getting for also wanting newer stuff. The link is great actually
>>
>>9384866
The problem with asking for contemporary stuff is that a text being "major" is an historical agreement. What you'll get now is a lot of personal preference and/or vague reaching for what might stand the test of time. Some might say Infinite Jest, for example, but 100 years from now that might be a footnote to greater interest in, say, The Universal Baseball Association.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.