[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /lit/ hate this book again? Is it because it can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 2131246.jpg (141KB, 652x1056px) Image search: [Google]
2131246.jpg
141KB, 652x1056px
Why does /lit/ hate this book again?

Is it because it can't understand the multiple layers of genius in it?
>>
>>9384200
I hate it because it's that one classic that normies use as a claim to fame, because they all read it in school. And it's really not a very good classic to begin with: the prose is nothing special, and the themes are not that deep. It's not a bad book, but it's not at all comparable to most of the stuff that is discussed here.
>>
>>9384200
It's not really hated, but it's one of Capote's lesser works.
>>
>>9384213
So you hate it because it's popular?

wew lad
>>
>>9384213
This is a textbook case of pretension
>>
>>9384225
How so? I appreciate the book for what it is, but I genuinely dislike it for good reasons aside from it being insanely popular just because it's easy to understand and assigned to everyone. This is that one classic that you're liable to find next to someones harry potter collection on the shelf--there's nothing pretentious about this observation. There are much better authors when it comes to representing the american south.
>>
>>9384247
>but I genuinely dislike it for good reasons

You literally dislike it because it's popular. That's literally the dumbest reason a person can have for disliking a thing.

Seek help.
>>
I enjoy it but it's not 'genius'
>>
>>9384268
Are you incapable of reading? I stated that I don't like it because I don't find the prose to be anything special, and the themes are not very deep. There are some memorable parts of the book, but they definitely don't justify its popularity. It being popular and constantly talked about by people who fail to even understand an easily understandable book gives me a growing contempt for it, but it's not the sole reason I dislike it.
>>
>>9384279
>It being popular and constantly talked about by people who fail to even understand an easily understandable book

It seems like you have failed to understand it.
>>
I couldn't stand thf prose so i bailed seven pages in. So i really can't judge the book u.u
>>
Because the majority of this board (or indeed any board) are contrarian teenagers with special snowflake syndrome trying to substitute lack of genuine personality or taste with a front of deep sophistication, which they perceive to consist of equal parts obscurefaggotry and unsubstantiated snobbishness. This book is highly accessible, ubiquitous and well known to general public (le filthy normies). That makes it 'pleb' or 'entry-level' regardless of it's true merits. Here goes the mystery. For prime examples see: >>9384213 >>9384247 >>9384279
>>
>>9384200
It's the equivalent of some hipster film buff getting pissed at an average guy because his favorite movie is the Godfather instead of some Tarkovsky bullshit. It doesn't mean the Godfather is a bad movie, but the film buff is just mad everyone else isn't as "cultured" as him so he shits on the Godfather, knowing full well it's a really good movie.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a great book but it doesn't have the necessary /lit/ qualifications of being obscure and complex. Not the greatest book of all time by any means, but it doesn't deserve the shit it gets on this board.
>>
>>9384308
>the majority of the board
>quotes three posts by the same person
>>
it's boring and I don't care about shitty American history

not everyone cares about your white guilt burgers.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.