[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is our universe mathematics? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1477778466159.jpg (24KB, 261x380px) Image search: [Google]
1477778466159.jpg
24KB, 261x380px
Is our universe mathematics?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis
>>
>>9383945
Math is just an abstract language.
>>
Sounds like an unfalsifiable hypothesis, desu.
>>
>>9383945
Mathematics lets us glimpse at the true forms of the universe.
>>
>>9383945
we have no access to the noumenon, only to representations of the noumenon. A deaf mute blind man might as well perceive the universe as an ensemble of tactile and olfactory sensations, just as the mathematician sees it as mathematical
>>
>>9383945
Using math to try and unravel the secrets of the universe is pointless. You're nothing more than a wizard using runes
>>
Interesting concept, but it requires some concept of self-consistency for mathematical structures, that's well beyond the current understanding of mathematics.
>>
>>9384304
>>9384345
>>9384342
t. Pseuds who never touched math higher than 1st semester level
>>
>>9383945
About 40% of the way through this book right now. Really interesting and very accessible for anybody. At the very least is has given me a much greater appreciation of science and math than I had before reading it. Highly reccomend it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (73KB, 880x478px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
73KB, 880x478px
>>9383945
I recently started looking into this stuff in relation to some academic writing. Tegmark's not really saying much new as far as I can tell. Structural realism/causal structuralism/dispositional monism or whatever you want to call it has been tossed around for a couple of decades now.

Intuitively to me, it seems like a bag of wank but that's just from my biases and having read some stuff on the regress problems associated with the view. I suppose my intuitions fall in line with the notion that “a world of [only] powers is too insubstantial to command belief”; it seems to me something must actually instantiate the structure, and thus reality can't just be structure per se.
>>
>tfw plato was right all along
>>
If the universe is pure mathematics, how does the author explain a posteriori reasoning?
>>
>>9384395
Please tell me how you have time to learn math as well as philosophy while working a 9-5 job? Would love to hear your secret formula.
>>
>>9385088
Complex mathematical structures can have simpler approximative descriptions. A posteriori reasoning is used to obtain those. True mathematical basis of our world may in principle be obtained with a priori reasoning alone, but humans seem to be too dumb for such a task, so we use a chain of simpler models (physical) to get closer to it instead.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.