[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm studying philosophy and literature at school, but I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1833.jpg (25KB, 228x327px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1833.jpg
25KB, 228x327px
I'm studying philosophy and literature at school, but I'm finding philosophy so interesting that I am absorbed into it to an extent that I have lost my passion for literature. I still have to study both subjects though, so what can I do to regain my interest in literature?
>>
read The Floating Opera. its funny, philosophical and light.
>>
read Sebald and Dostoevsky
>>
The true enlightment is reading Camus and Dostoevsky and realising that true wisdom lies in fiction
>>
>>9383836
Literature is like condensed experience. Try to think of it as expanding your pool of raw, unweighted phenomenal and conceptual material which will help you in making convincing philosophical arguments. At the very least it will improve your writing.
>>
>>9383836
Because in literature you get to widen the scope and make human statements like these:

>I’ve read parts of the Tractatus, but I have no formal training in mathematical logic and I couldn't say a thing about the technical aspects of the book. I like the way he uses the language. Even in translation, it's very evocative. It's like reading Martian. The language is mysteriously simple and self-assured. It suggests without the slightest arrogance that there's no alternative to these remarks. The statements are machine-tooled. Wittgenstein is the language of outer space, a very precise race of people.
>>
>>9384314
>a very precise
>there are 20 gorillion interpretations of Tractatus
>>
>>9383836
If you didn't like paintings, you wouldn't try to get into them by looking at every painting as a philosophical statement. And you definitely wouldn't start saying garbage like, "true wisdom lies in paintings."

When you are reading a book, you are reading a work of a craft. And while I actually do agree with both >>9384292 and probably also >>9384245, I think if you're expecting anything out of your books other than that they be well made, you're going to be frustrated and disappointed, or else limited to a small subset of books and really better off just reading more philosophy.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.