[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, I am looking for a novel that has more complex than average

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: find the phone in dis pic.png (1MB, 717x722px) Image search: [Google]
find the phone in dis pic.png
1MB, 717x722px
Hello, I am looking for a novel that has more complex than average vocabulary, especially collocations, so I can learn from it. It should be contemporary (after ww2 at least) and preferably short (200p or so).
I've been looking around but can't seem to find something suitable, so I had to turn to /lit/.
>>
the phone is along the black strip of carpet on the right of the right leg
>>
>>9382817
did you google it?
>>
>>9382838
no I ogled it
>>
The World's Last Night
>>
>>9382855
Thanks, but do you have a rec that is a novel?

>>9382847
haha very nice !
>>
>>9382883

op if you want to increase your vocabulary read essays, the vocab used in essays is a lot of the time much broader than what you'd see in the nytimes or an average novel or whatever. i'm a native english speaker and i still learn a lot of new words when reading essays, especially if they're from like the 18th century
>>
>>9382890
I'll keep that in mind. I also need the book for a project though, and only a novel works
>>
>>9382890
http://xenopraxis.net/readings/adorno_freetime.pdf

http://www.econlib.org/library/LFBooks/Hume/hmMPL40.html#Part III, Essay I, OF ESSAY-WRITING

http://www.johnsonessays.com/the-idler/memory-rarely-deficient/

heres a taste of how some of these writers are to read, if you like them read more and your vocab will grow a lot.
>>
>>9382944
>>9382950

oh..... i suppose something by james joyce could work well
>>
>>9382954
It'd probably go over my head.
Doesn't have to be the best of the best, just above average.
>>
bum
>>
>>9382814
Sebald and Coetzee, as well as Ishiguro (Buried Giant and Remains of the Day)
>>
>>9383321
Found some suitable novels from those names, thanks.
>>
>>9382814

If you're looking for something short with more complex than average vocabulary and interesting collocations, you might be looking for poetry more than a novel. I don't know which English language poet would be best for this, but some other anon might be able to help.
>>
>>9383899
Yes, i get you, but it's for a project.

Thing is, since most of the recs here are from foreign authors, while they certainly have some complex vocabulary, they really lack in interesting collocations/phrases
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.