[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this sentence correct/good? >One day, he put his coat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: basedray.png (448KB, 1124x820px) Image search: [Google]
basedray.png
448KB, 1124x820px
Is this sentence correct/good?

>One day, he put his coat on and grabbed a rifle, heading to the roof.
>>
>Correct
No, if 'heading' was meant to be a participle, the syntax is fucked, if gerund - the tenses don't work. Also, general narrative statements, like the ones that start with 'one day' work better with present simple

>One day, he puts his coat on and grabs a rifle, and heads to the roof
>Heading to the roof, he put his coat and grabbed a rifle (also ugly as fuck)
>One day, he put his coat on, grabbed a rifle, and headed to the roof
>>
>>9382140
I don't think you need that first comma. Other than that, I don't se anything wrong.
>>
>>9382140
>One day he put his coat on, grabbed a rifle and headed to the roof.
>One day he put his coat on and, grabbing a rifle, headed to the roof.
>En route to the roof one day he accoutered himself with coat and rifle.
>>
>>9382174
All of them sound ugly, don't think I can use them
>>
>>9382186
thx it's gotta be the first one
>>
File: oh my.jpg (55KB, 600x760px) Image search: [Google]
oh my.jpg
55KB, 600x760px
>tfw the novel I'm working on has tons of grammatical mistakes
>tfw I don't care
>>
>>9382203
Post an excerpt for laughs
>>
How about...

>One day, he grabbed his rifle and put a coat on, heading to the roof.

Sound better, I think.
>>
File: oh my oh my.jpg (55KB, 526x400px) Image search: [Google]
oh my oh my.jpg
55KB, 526x400px
>>9382210
>In the case of John the restrictions imposed on his freedom are a condition of it.
>>
>>9382265
dfw would vomit
>>
>>9382262
>putting on a coat with a rifle in one hand.
>>
>>9382140
The "one day" is implied, i.e. one would have to be doing something temporally, so it could be cut out.

I would phrase it: "Grabbing his coat and a rifle, he went to the roof." I would say "went" instead of "head" because to make it grammatically correct one would have to use the word "headed," like this anon >>9382186 suggested, and that's just a distasteful fucking word imo
>>
>>9382265
Whats ungrammatical about it? Seems fine
>>
>>9382289
>he put the rifle in his pocket
>>
File: rowling smug.jpg (383KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rowling smug.jpg
383KB, 2000x1000px
>>9382346
So you're saying he pocketed it.
>>
>>9382140
It's correct.

>>9382174
You're retarded.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.