[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else get stressed out by their reading list? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: vqGeMsr.gif (2MB, 350x255px) Image search: [Google]
vqGeMsr.gif
2MB, 350x255px
Anyone else get stressed out by their reading list? I've got a pile of books stretching back almost a year thay I've hardly made any progress on.
>>
I'd be more stressed if I ever exhausted my reading list
>>
File: 1481561205916.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1481561205916.png
51KB, 657x527px
How many books should I attempt to read at a time? At what point am I just starting books to seek novelty? I rarely finish the books I start, and that distresses me. But confining myself to only one book at a time seems extreme. When I am only reading two books at once, I get bored easily.
>>
>>9381413
Don't make reading lists, you're just stressing yourself out.
>>
>>9381475
This.
Read what you actually want to read, not what you think you should want to read. You'll read more that way.
>>
>>9381483
But what if "what you actually want to read" changes practically every day?
>>
>>9381413
>Anyone else get stressed out by their reading list?
nah, I got 4 or 5 lined up to go but I get usually 30-50 pages per day

also, anyone who feels that little sensation of pride inside while appraising their reading list is pretentious as fuck 2bh
>>
File: 1416373125352.png (197KB, 351x368px) Image search: [Google]
1416373125352.png
197KB, 351x368px
>>9381413
>finish a book
>instead of grabbing one of the shelf I haven't read yet I go out and buy 3 new books
>>
>>9381883
same
>>
>>9381853
then read multiple books at a time?
there's no rule against putting a book down for a while and reading something else then getting back to it latter.
>>
>>9381883
>buying books new
>not getting a book of equal sticker price for like 3 bucks at a thrift store
why tho
>>
>>9381887
there are literally no book stores in my town besides one big chain store and one smaller version of the same chain store at the mall.

I usually buy online unless I find something fairly cheap in store

there used to be a fantastic used book store I'd buy all sorts of less "popular" books from but they closed down sadly.

got a nice hardcover of Ulysses there for 15$
>>
>>9381878
>I get usually 30-50 pages per day
How do you do this.

I think my problem is that I get an initial burst of interest, then after maybe 10 pages I'll get bored. I don't know why this happens. Maybe I have a mental disorder.
>>
>>9381896
>I don't know why this happens. Maybe I have a mental disorder.
it's called a bad attention span
it's a habit that a lot of people get from jumping around apps on their phone, hopping from tab to tab on 4chan, vidya etc
you just have to force yourself into it, really

just time yourself would be my best advice, start off with 15 minute sessions for reading, then 30, an hour, etc
>>
>>9381437
Yikes. I never read more than 1, but I'm only reading fiction atm. I'd say stick to 1 of each type: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, spiritual book/text book, etc..
>>
>>9381896
It's due to everyone is so used to have a million different things happening and all this information thrown at them constantly. When you don't have something that's easy to digest presented to you you'll get bored because that's all you're used to. Of course, it's just a symptom of the culture we're in, but it's distracting, no? Just spend less time taking in "easy info" from YouTube, listening to music while doing other things and read more.
>>
>>9381437
I do the bulk of my reading in a single fiction book at a time, I also read a little bit of philosophy/textbooks each day, and keep a single book of poetry around that I'm not constrained to read in any timely fashion. Also a bible or something comfy to read before bed.
>>
>>9381413
Man, if that's the worst of your problems, you're a lucky fella
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.