[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What book explain the reason and general signs and patterns of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: guns germs steel.jpg (23KB, 228x346px) Image search: [Google]
guns germs steel.jpg
23KB, 228x346px
What book explain the reason and general signs and patterns of the rise and fall of empires or nations?
I hear pic related is quite good but most threads on /lit/ talking about it usually say the opposite.
So what other books are there?
>>
>>9379686
Stop trying to generalise.
>>
>>9379686
Glubb's The Fate of Empires
>>
>>9379692
Why not?
>>
>>9379686
Jared Diamond's Collapse was more about the fall. I think you would know that Diamond is somewhat controversial.
You should pick up Ian Morris (which I still need to read myself however) and especially Peter Turchin who developed an actual mathematical model instead of just theorizing.

For Peter Turchin see "War and peace and war" and "Secular cycles". Note that even Peter Turchin is controversial amongst some historians but he made a testable model. So his model can be put to the test whereas the theorizing of Diamond or Morris can't as easy.
>>
>>9379698
Because the Persian and British empires had very little in common?
>>
>>9379686
Book related was beloved when I was in college in 2002. It has since been surpassed by Why Nations Fail, and eclipsed by general consensus on Huntington's Clash of Civilizations and Fukuyama's most recent work. Academic consensus has turned on geographic determinism and has turned towards quality of institutions and the behavior of elites in those institutions.

>>9379692
Also this. Understanding history as a monolith simply means you do not understand history.
>>
>>9379728
Diamond's subsequent book, Collapse, addresses some of the issues this anon brings up. I would recommend reading GG&S and Collapse together for a more complete understanding of Diamond's thought.
>>
>>9379686
Diamond isn't a historian and uses some flawed examples to try and prove his broad-stroke theory. His theory might be valuable, but the basic evidence he provided often isn't accepted by critical historians.

Maybe worth reading to get you thinking about civilization, but do not take it as fact or historical consensus.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.