[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We had one of these threads a few months back and I thought it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: kieslowski talking heads.png (578KB, 1003x761px) Image search: [Google]
kieslowski talking heads.png
578KB, 1003x761px
We had one of these threads a few months back and I thought it was a really cool way to learn about new books, so let's try it again.

You've been tasked with writing a syllabus for a one-semester literature-related course on your specific area of expertise. The department dean would like you to present this syllabus with all of the following information:

-The course title (and number, if you like)
-A brief synopsis of the course (one to three paragraphs)
-A list of the five to eight books or any other relevant material you will use throughout the semester
-Prerequisites needed, if any
>>
English 345: Apocalypse and Revelation in Contemporary American Literature

This will be a survey course exploring the themes of apocalypse and revelation in post-WWII American literature and how they reflect the specific social and cultural anxieties of their time.

Reading List
~The Nine Billion Names of God [short story] - Arthur C. Clarke (1953)
~A Canticle for Liebowitz - Walter M. Miller Jr. (1959)
~Silent Spring - Rachel Carson (1962)
~Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut (1963)
~Slouching Towards Bethlehem [essay] - Joan Didion (1967)
~The Stand - Stephen King (1978)
~The Road - Cormac McCarthy (2006)
~Lesser Apocalypses - Bayard Godsave (2012)
~Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel (2014)

There are no prerequisites for this course.
>>
Nobody?

:(
>>
>>9378717
dude to do this i would have to think and try hard like i'ma do that i'm here for the shit posting man
>>
>>9378717
i would but i am not expert on anything
>>
>>9378462
I would take this course. Fantastic idea.
>>
>>9378866

English 555: How to Score Some Sick Dubs

Really it's more just any area of writing you enjoy or have even a passing interest in. I'm by no means an expert on the one I posted, but I enjoy the genre.
>>
File: mike does it best.png (738KB, 1138x452px) Image search: [Google]
mike does it best.png
738KB, 1138x452px
English 333: The Lovecraft Circle

This course is meant to study pulp fiction writers from the early to mid twentieth century, their relationships with each other, and the influence their works today.

Reading List:
~Re-Animator - H.P. Lovecraft
~The Call of Cthulhu - H.P. Lovecraft
~The House on The Borderlands - William Hodgson
~The God in the Bowl - Robert E. Howard
~ Beyond the Black River - Robert E. Howard
~ The Tale of Satampra Zeiros - Clark A. Smith
~ Xeethra - Clark A. Smith
~ Psycho - Robert Bloch
~ August Delerith -

There are no prerequisites for this course.

This is actually a class I'm setting up for after I graduate and start teaching at a higschool. Haven't read any Delerith or enough Smith yet so those will change in the future. Order will also change so we read Howard last and finish up the semester by watching "Conan the Barbarian."
>>
>>9379677

How would Conan the Barbarian tie into a class on Lovecraft? I've never seen it but are there similar themes or something?
>>
>>9378717
I would but I dropped out of school in the first semster
>>
Bump because I like the idea of this thread bu have nothing to contribute
>>
>>9378462

Just realized Arthur C Clarke is British, not American. God damn it.
>>
>>9379995
Lovecraft and Howard gave each other's creations shout outs in their respective works, and nerds have been masturbating about it ever since.
>>
>>9379995
It's a class is called/ about the Lovecraft circle, all the pulp authors who were in communication with each other during the 20's and 30's who were connected via Lovecraft. Howard and Lovecraft were two of the big three, and also have had a large impact on pulp culture today.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.