[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, so I was thinking of giving a girl I'm dating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

Hey guys, so I was thinking of giving a girl I'm dating a book of poetry, and I was really considering Petrarch because he's my favorite romantic poet ever, but then I realized that would be incredibly autistic.

He's kinda too archaic for her tastes, and a lot of it is more sad, fatalistic, pining and forever alone-ing than the honeymoon period I would hope we're approaching.

I know a few poets, but most of them are really edgy shit like Ginsberg or Eliot or Joyce. What romance poetry would you recommend I give to a girl who's slightly dyslexic and who's favorite book is Fahrenheit 451? Books are also acceptable.

>inb4 Shakespeare's sonnets
>>
See if you can find one of Jan LaPerle or Emilia Philips's books on Amazon. Or Matt Hart. Contemporary is definitely the way to go here.
>>
ee cummings. There should be readily available collections of his romantic poetry.
>>
File: 1490739023275.jpg (193KB, 1000x579px) Image search: [Google]
1490739023275.jpg
193KB, 1000x579px
>>9378104
more like e e cumming on her face
>>
File: 1489556875160.jpg (15KB, 301x353px) Image search: [Google]
1489556875160.jpg
15KB, 301x353px
Rita Dove, the single greatest poet to ever grace the classrooms of the american high school.
>>
obviously the cantos by e-z POUND
>>
>>9378165
Nice try.

>>9378104
E E Cummings is nice enough. Maybe a bit impersonal, but I could make it work.

>>9378062
With these guys I'll probably be going in blind, but I can definitely try.
>>
A collection of James Joyce's love letters. If she's into literature, and into you, then you're fucking *set* with that.
>>
rainer maria rilke bitch
>>
>>9378222
I like the way you think but she's like a feminist and stuff and this is a bit overkill.

Perhaps once I get a better grasp of her kinks.
>>
>>9378054
What about walt whitman, heard he was pretty good.
>>
>>9378054
my sonnets desu
>>
>>9378384
I love Whitman, but from what I've read his poetry isn't quite the romantic stuff I'm looking for.

>>9378390
It's really an overplayed meme generally used by awful people, but wouldn't writing sonnets for someone else to use be a form of cuckoldry.
>>
>>9378409
my sonnets are for everyone, i'm an artist
>>
>>9378421
Fair enough. I might consider it. So far I'm split between falling back on Shakespeare or going in blind with >>9378104 's suggestions.
>>
>>9378429
meant
>>9378062 's suggestions.
>>
>>9378429
here's a nice little poem

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?contentId=15345
>>
>>9378054
Bukowski
>>
Dante's La Vita Nuova
>>
>>9378450
good Christ no. don't do this OP. Bukowski is angry and shallow, without the skill to even make it interesting.
>>
>>9378562
Please don't respond to this thread with pseud opinions
>>
>>9378679
who was it you meant to reply to with this post?
>>
>>9378562

Don't worry, I'm aware, and even if I did like him, I'd hardly give him to my gf.

>>9378534
This looks interesting. Maybe too archaic, but interesting for me at least.
>>
>>9378054
>>9378104
>>9378429
>>9378696
>Petrarch
>E.E. Cummings
>Shakespeare
>Dante
How old are you? Do you really think any girl is going to interested in reading poetry she already read in highschool?
>>
>>9378706
girls love Sir Phillip Sidney Though
>>
>>9378696
I'm the fella that suggested the contemporary poets. Ill just reiterate once more that those are all three really excellent poets and I really think, based on my own experiences of giving poetry to women that I've dated, that these are gonna be your safest bet.
>>
Give her the gift of Rumi
>>
>>9378706
Where did you go to high-school? Certainly not in the US.

I'll admit Cummings is rather high school-ish and basic, and that's dissuading me from including him.

I listed Shakespeare as something I didn't want to fall back on.

>>9378762
Not super familiar with him but I've heard good things about Rumi.
>>
>>9378222
You guy.
>>
>>9378054
The Prophet by Khalil Gibran. not exactly poetry but close enough.
>>
>>9378767
I found this book a while back. Is it good? It's thin and the line spacing is huge, so it's tiny.
>>
>>9378790
it's probably not what most of /lit/is into but it's very well written - kind of in a KJV style - and says a lot for something so short. mostly a collection of aphorisms on various aspects of life. look up a few quotes and see if you like them, the chapters are short so you could read two or three entirely to get an idea of the general tone and not waste more than ten minutes.
>>
I sometimes wish I had a gf and a social life. However, then I remember that life is a privilege for average men.
>>
>>9380312
sometimes i wish i had gf but then i realize my phone is full of numbers girls gave me but i never text any of them, then i realize i guess i don't really want a gf after all
>>
>>9380312
OP here. I would call myself fairly below average, practically subhuman. However I've found that by simply (ignoring/ overcoming) your depression (your choice), and accepting the neuroses and faults in your partners, you too can find an honestly pretty stellar bf or gf.
>>
>>9380346
Why would I want to become mediocre and get a life? No, I shall not shy away from my destiny and become average.
>>
>>9378054
Why not give her some Shelley?
And the sunlight clasps the earth
And the moonbeams kiss the sea:
What is all this sweet work worth
If thou kiss not me?
>>
File: 1434931830136.jpg (120KB, 534x668px) Image search: [Google]
1434931830136.jpg
120KB, 534x668px
>>9378054
>slightly dyslexic
>favorite book is 451
M8, she's better off getting Bukowsi.
>>
>>9378135
Yeah, that's poetry in motion
>>
>>9378054
When in doubt:
The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
>>
NERUDA, are you stupid?
>>
EA Robinson is cozy and lyrical.
>>
>>9378054
just buy her the friends boxset, at least then you might get a wristy
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.