[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fuck your dfw and your pynchonu. He was the only american genius

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 001-jack-kerouac-theredlist.jpg (875KB, 3000x2046px) Image search: [Google]
001-jack-kerouac-theredlist.jpg
875KB, 3000x2046px
fuck your dfw and your pynchonu. He was the only american genius of the late 20th century.
>>
Gaddis.
>>
>>9376280
He's certainly underrated on this board. Probably a combination of people trying to fit in and a juvenile faux-distaste towards something relatively popular among adolescent readers. It's like when you get hordes of socialite commentators railing against a trending phenomenon. Kerouac created works that were sincere, unfiltered, and genuinely enjoyable. The original scroll of On The Road is very good but someone has to be the punching bag
>>
>>9376297
While I did not enjoyed the Road, I agree with you and I want to read more books from him (But it's weird to find english books to begin with in my town).
>>
dude roadtrips lmao
>>
>>9376303
Maggie Cassidy is my favorite. I haven't read him in English and still enjoyed most of his works. I definitely need to re read them in original
>>
>>9376280

>garbled and broken amphetamine prose
>muh bohemianism
>poorly executed ripoff of early Hamsun

Don't short-sell yourself America, you can do better.
>>
File: tom waiting.jpg (53KB, 545x365px) Image search: [Google]
tom waiting.jpg
53KB, 545x365px
Right here, OP
>>
>>9376280
>american
>genius

pick 1

gaddis is the only good author to come out of america in the last 150 years.

>>9376297
>>9376303
you guys dont read very much do you

try being not 18.
>>
He was so genius for doing the things other guys were doing in Paris 20 years earlier.
>>
I've only read On the Road and Big Sur. I honestly enjoyed them both, but his writing is so sad. Not in a bad way, but it literally makes me sad to read his books and see how depressed he must have been.
>>
File: dharma-bums.jpg (280KB, 1024x463px) Image search: [Google]
dharma-bums.jpg
280KB, 1024x463px
>>9376303
The Dharma Bums and Big Sur are both much better than On The Road imo.

Read The Dharma Bums first.
>>
burroughs is the only beatnik who wasn't a complete hack
>>
i like kerouac for his pure, wide-eyed appreciation of the world around him. when reading him you can just sense the bliss he experienced from being alive.

then he went and drank himself to death.
>>
>>9376767
He had nothing in common with them apart from being part of the same social clique.....Burroughs hated the idea of the "great American novel" the American dream and hippies/beatniks in general.
>>
>>9376280
He's a throwback to a simpler time. He's one of the last of the Modernist. His stuff reminds me of Thomas Wolfe but Kerouac had more control of himself, and was a better thinker (not a compliment Wolfe was all belly no brain). I don't like DFW or Pynchon personally.
>>
>>9377046
exactly why he was the only one who wasn't a hack. he actually cared about the art, the rest were just posing as artists.
>>
File: 1365476520860.jpg (14KB, 252x300px) Image search: [Google]
1365476520860.jpg
14KB, 252x300px
When will you hippies learn to appreciate real literature
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.