[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I saw the movie Logan with a roommate yesterday and we need /lit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

I saw the movie Logan with a roommate yesterday and we need /lit/ opinion on a pressing matter.
Yes, /lit/ opinion. Not /co/ or /tv/, they're absolutly retarded.

The question is: "is Logan pathetic or tragic?"

Is he a victim of fate, of circumstances beyond his control? Or is he a victim or his own deliberate mistakes, hubris or errors in judgment?

To me, he is an obvious pathetic figure inciting pity or compassion. He's pitiable, the movie focus on his suffering: old age, pain, addiction, shattered dreams and utlimately death. He is the toys of forces beyond his reach and can only flee, he's weak. He laments and want to die.

But my fucking roommate say he's not pathetic at all. He is tragic at best and pathetic only apply to weak, vicious assholes like Grima Wormtongue. I'm pretty sure it's bullshit, there is similarities between pathetic and tragic figures but Logan IS pathetic more than tragic. Tragic figures call their own doom upon themselves, pathetic one are weak (in face of their fate) and suffer from bad luck all the time.

What do you think?

Movie was 6.5/10 in my book, btw. Not bad.
>>
>>9375626
Top cunny
>>
>>9375626
I hate having to review something with keeping under only 2 themes
>>
>>9375635
But we're only interested in those two.
>>
To me, pathetic arouses feelings of disgust. Tragic arouses feelings of respect. Following that line of thought, Logan is tragic to me.
>Tragic figures call their own doom upon themselves, pathetic one are weak (in face of their fate) and suffer from bad luck all the time.
To me pathetic figures call the world unfair while tragic figures play with the hand they're dealt, knowing they're fighting a losing battle.

But english isn't my native language so my semantics might be out of order.
>>
>>9375666
According to the Oxford dictionary (I think it's the reference for english language) "pathetic" mean:

1. Arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness.
[i]
'She looked so pathetic that I bent down to comfort her.'
'It seemed somehow forlorn and pathetic as if it had been suddenly abandoned.'
'You're a weak, pathetic fool, a voice said in my head.'
[/i]

2.(informal) Miserably inadequate.
[i]
‘The man was a pathetic loser who couldn't even write a decent story.’
‘Jasmine gave out this little laugh that she thought sounded pretty pathetic.’
‘By which I mean I will use the most pathetic excuses to avoid doing anything.’
[/i]

3.(archaic) Relating to the emotions.
>>
>>9375672
Oddly enough "tragic" is an accepted synonym:

1. "affecting, distressing, disquieting, disturbing, upsetting, miserable, heartbreaking, heart-rending, agonizing, harrowing, mortifying, sad, wretched, poor, forlorn, TRAGIC, doleful, mournful, woeful"

2. "feeble, woeful, sorry, poor, pitiful, lamentable, deplorable, miserable, wretched, contemptible, despicable, inadequate, meagre, paltry, insufficient, negligible, insubstantial, unsatisfactory, worthless"
>>
File: 1489018437982-1.jpg (155KB, 500x832px) Image search: [Google]
1489018437982-1.jpg
155KB, 500x832px
>I saw the movie Logan
Hah, fucking plebe.
Unless you saw it for the cunny.
That is a strange poster.
>>
>>9375626
>Tragic figures call their own doom upon themselves, pathetic one are weak (in face of their fate) and suffer from bad luck all the time.

You literally have the definitions backwards.

Traditionally, a tragedy is composed of essentially two things : a virtuous protagonist and his cruel and inescapable fate. Bad things happening to good people is tragic.

If his suffering is a product of his own folly, then his character is pitiable for being a fool.

Of course, this things can interlap. It isn't unusual in a tragedy for the protagonist to do things that ultimately brings about their fate faster.

I haven't watched the movie, but if Logan's demise is ultimately inescapable, then he is a tragic figure (no matter how much of a whinny bitch he might be). If it could've all been prevented easily, then he is pitiable. (Both can be good stories regardless).
>>
Movie Logan or comicbook Logan?
>>
>>9375626
Your roommate is correct, and why did they make a poster of an 11 year-old girl desperately humping her genetic daddy Wolverine?
>>
>>9375687
I haven't seem the movie, but I grew up reading comics, specially X-comics, and as a whole, Wolverine is a tragic hero, but he is the embodiment of pathos as well. His life (before he become Sniktgod) was pretty much a very slow, perpetual trainwreck, one no one could stop from happening nor divert their eyes, just watch it's awful glory. His love life comes to mind, between fucking a soropositive and Wolverine, chances are you survive longer doing the former.
>>
>>9375626
I wouldn't describe him as a tragic figure in the classical sense, though that doesn't mean he isn't tragic. A projection of his character arc rises as the movie goes on rather than falls. But really I think you and your roommate are fighting over semantics. You are both arguing over the words being used because you want to define the words differently, not because you have necessarily expressed different beliefs of what those words are signs for.

>Tragic figures call their own doom upon themselves
Just to quibble but just because Aristotle made his own criteria for the judgement of tragedy doesn't mean that it is the rubric by which we have to see the genre, in fact the vast majority of tragic plays don't follow his precepts especially closely or at all.

>Is he a victim of fate, of circumstances beyond his control? Or is he a victim or his own deliberate mistakes, hubris or errors in judgment?
I think this part is pretty clear and it isn't any of the things listed there. He is a man who is constantly choosing knowing the likely consequences of his choosing. It is not fate, it is not really circumstances outside his control (anymore than it would be for any other situation) because while he does not control the things that happens to him he is aware that they might happen, and chooses anyway.
>>
>>9377126
This is a really good response.

Also, I liked the movie. No one cares what I think, but I liked it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.