[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to read Dubliners, what should I know before going in?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: dubliners.jpg (95KB, 480x658px) Image search: [Google]
dubliners.jpg
95KB, 480x658px
About to read Dubliners, what should I know before going in? Anything I should do to prepare?
>>
>>9369114
Be prepared to be bored out of your mind. Only good story is the last one.
>>
>>9369121
That was really not good advice at all. OP, read about Joyce's relationship with Ireland and Catholicism. Also, researching Irish nationalism and the Irish revolutionary period is a good idea. The characters in each story come to some "epiphany," usually about a stagnating Ireland. If you haven't noticed, you should read about ireland (Hell, the book is called "Dubliners"). Skim Wikipedia on these things and you'll appreciate it much better than I did my first time going through it.
>>
>>9369222
Can you give me a quick rundown on Irish nationalism? I'm tired and this wikipedia article is putting me to sleep
>>
>>9369307
Wait until you read the book lmao. But ulyssess is even more boring desu senpai.
>>
>>9369307
sure, ain't got much to do anyways. There still is tension between Ireland and England over the sovereignty of Ireland. In the 1910s, a group of Irish nationalists, some of them artists, had a small "revolution" to take back their home. The British army quashed it in six days and hanged the instigators. As such, Irish folk of this time held incredible resentment for England and most Continental Europe ideas (esp. French). Take into account Ireland's incredibly catholic population and conservative politics, you get a nation unwilling to grow and change socially and artistically. This really wounded Joyce because that was his home, but he himself was a brilliant artist.
>>
File: IMG_7657.jpg (21KB, 530x298px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7657.jpg
21KB, 530x298px
>>9369114
Just know that the characters are cucked by the British. They had a politician named Parnell who was going to be their big savior, but he was brought down by scandal.
>>
>>9369341
>But ulyssess is even more boring desu senpai.
Is it? I loved The Odyssey and isn't Ulysses supposed to be allegorically related to it or something
>>9369352
You're great my man
>>
>>9369374
hey thanks my guy I just really liked Dubliners and hope you do too.
>>
keep in mind that there is a recurring theme of paralysis (related to the Ireland-England relationship discussed above). Also note that the last story contrasts the rest, almost as an 'apology'

I'd highly recommend portrait over Dubliners though--but I guess they're two very different vibes so one doesn't really replace the other. Read them both :]
>>
and I would say Ulysses is only boring if you're sole interest in reading a novel is plot development. In every other regard, it's about the antithesis of boring. It's legendary to me that the same individual wrote Dubliners, Portrait, and Ulysses
>>
>>9369384
I think I will, having read up about Joyce's life it's made me even more eager to begin reading Dubliners, especially this one quote:
>In the particular is contained the universal
Which I think I understand in a very primal sense.
>>
>>9369114
I read the first two stories and put it down. It just didn't grab me like Anton Chekhov, who seems to be doing something similar in many of his short stories, de-emphasizing plot, treatment of poor people, and religious subtexts. I find Chekhov a lot more charming.
>>
You're subhuman. Your a troglodyte, an ignoramus, a fucking moron of astronomical proportions. You have no brain. You're a dirt and grease covered worm, spreading your feces all over everything you've ever come into contact with. You're a digital tumor on the reality of your body and everyone around you's personal space. You cannot read, you cannot think. Books were not designed for you, for your grubby, snotty, smeary fingers, for your limpid, matted, oil caked hair, for your crusted up asshole, your pretentious aura, your inferior genes, your unfeeling conscious, your unthinking brain, your incapable mind. You suck, dog. Joyce did not write for you, nor did anyone else who has ever written. You are still in diapers in every regard. You are a pervert, a pariah, a pathetic pallbearer of yourself. It would be better if you did not exist, for yourself and for everyone else.
>>
>>9369531

*holds up mirror*

Heh... nothin personell, kid
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.