[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /lit/'s thoughts on Anna Karenina?? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Anna-Karenina.jpg (414KB, 950x1478px) Image search: [Google]
Anna-Karenina.jpg
414KB, 950x1478px
What's /lit/'s thoughts on Anna Karenina?? It's my first russian novel and i'm really enjoying it so far.

Tolstoi just has a way with the caracters it's really nice.
>>
>>9368291
I'm not sure why no one is posting in your thread.

Personally, I haven't read Anna Karenina, yet. I recently purchased it, (at a bookstore in my area I didn't even know about) and I will be reading it after I finish Crime & Punishment.

I loved War & Peace though; Tolstoy really does have a fascinating way of developing characters, and to me he never seems to become monotonous. His prose is easy to follow along with, and overall he is a great way to get into Russian Literature.

After you finish Anna Karenina I would suggest reading War & Peace, preferably translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky; there are plenty of footnotes and information to guide you along.
>>
>>9369153
http://ospidillo-blog.blogspot.com/2011/02/which-translation-of-war-and-peace.html

This may also help you in your decision on finding a good translation.
>>
>>9368291
It's a wonderful book. Love how Levin and Anna's stories draw closer together as the narration progresses. Until..
>>
>>9369153
P&V translations are unreadable because of their methodology and they really afford no advantage. Word for word translations are actually poor translations because language doesn't function well at that level. If you need an intricate understanding of the original Russian learn to speak Russian.
>>
Just picked it up a few days ago, have yet to start it. Heard its great, so looking forward to it. First Russian novel i read was Crime and Punishment. Can anyone tell me if Anna Karenina has a similar style to c and p, because I really liked how Dostoyevsky wrote.
>>
I just finished reading it a couple weeks ago. I loved it, and its now one of my favorite books. I felt like I really got to know the characters and was sad when it was over, which is a feeling I rarely have when I finish a book.
>>
>>9369409
I may as well learn Russian: seems like a good choice, but who would you suggest as a translator in the meantime? P&V have become wildly popular for Russian Literature.
>>
>>9369507
Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky have very different styles. I wouldn't think they would be similar, but don't let that dissuade you from reading Tolstoy.
>>
This is one of my favorite books from my favorite author, but I think it's worth digging into the meat of the content which Tolstoy embedded into the story without coming out and saying. Such as his system for personal enlightenment and societal compliance, the rural countryside vs the City, Tolstoy's infamous Gary Stu self-insert main characters, and spoilery things like the real reasons why Anna Karenina was disgraced.
>>
>>9372018

Congratulations I don't think you could be more autistic than this post if you spent two years planning it.
>>
>>9369507
They are not that similar. You'll see for yourself how Tolstoy writes, just don't expect more Dostoyevsky. I did when I started AK and it annoyed me at first, I had to "reconfigure" my expectations and reading approach.
>>
>>9368291
I put off reading Anna Karenina for a long time because I was reluctant to read a book about a woman.

I'm glad I finally read it though, the parts with Levin on his farm hunting with his bro-tier dog or even just mowing grain were so damn comfy.

Vronsky was alpha as fuck too. Gambling, horse-racing, plowing married sloots and then finally going off to Serbia to remove kebab...pretty based desu
>>
>>9368291
I can't think of a novel I like more. Levin's chapters especially stand out in my mind.
>>
>>9372650
For me, Vronsky's growth from negative to positive character.
>>
>>9368291
This really was excellent. The sections with the artist and parts seven and eight were GOAT
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.