[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I picked up Ulysses earlier today and I'm about 40 pages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1061.gif (1MB, 266x268px)
IMG_1061.gif
1MB, 266x268px
I picked up Ulysses earlier today and I'm about 40 pages in.

Nothing about this screams "masterpiece". There are some truly sublime passages so far, but most of it seems like the autistic ramblings of someone trying too hard to be edgy.
>>
>>9368189
>the autistic ramblings of someone trying too hard to be edgy
that's the whole point of the book
and the reason why this shit of a place loves it
>>
thanks keep us posted
>>
ok
>>
>>9368198
kill yourself rambling piece of mad shit you dumb moron full of garbage you sparkling turd you worthless fag you fucking piece of retard
>>
Of course it's autistic. It's stream of consciousness. That's like the fucking definition of autism.
>>
>>9368189
It doesn't really come together until like 400 pages in
>>
File: 13087.jpg (141KB, 850x945px) Image search: [Google]
13087.jpg
141KB, 850x945px
>>9368217
>It doesn't really come together until like 400 pages in
>it's a good book
>>
Joyce isn't ever enjoyable to read, he's liked by people (and rightfully so, I think) that appreciate things outside the text more than the text itself
>>
>>9368189
Go read Moby Dick
>>
>>9368224
I mean you don't really see what Joyce is going for until at least halfway through
Most criticisms of the book come from people who haven't finished it
The first half is setting the scene and establishing the themes and the second half de constructs them
It's hard to finish it without being amazed
>>
listen to http://blog.frankdelaney.com/re-joyce/
>>
>>9368189
you haven't even met the protagonist yet OP
>>
People saying it doesn't get going til 400 pages in are also plebs. If you cant appreciate the mastery in both the first two chapters as well you really are a pleb.

Come back to it when you're older buds.
>>
>>9368407
I can appreciate the language and its poetic appeal. It seems, however, to be almost entirely devoid of pragmatic content.
>>
only White American upper middle-class liberals think it's a masterpiece, shit's got like a 3.6 on goodreads
>>
Finish the book before you talk.
>>
>>9368189
You're lying. When I picked it up and was forty pages in I had no idea what I was reading.
>>
>>9368189
Each chapter changes style. Maybe you'll find that "masterpiece" scream later on.
>>
is Ulysses by James Joyce a good book? should i read it? do i need to train beforehand?
>>
Did you guys know that Ulysses is the Roman equivalent of Odysseus?
>>
>>9369548
Leopold is a cuck
>>
>>9369559
Are you inbred?
>>
>>9369592
Well if you don't know that then reading Ulysses is pointless
>>
>>9369577
No he isn't. His wife had an affair but it's not like she got pregnant
>>
>>9368224
You make me sad to be Anglo.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.