[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this has been asked and answered many times before. However,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 1480571287154.jpg (87KB, 500x500px)
1480571287154.jpg
87KB, 500x500px
I know this has been asked and answered many times before. However, there seems to be a lot of divisiveness on the subject.
My question is: which bible english translation is best suited for someone who wants to not only study the text but also wants spiritual insight while still having an accurate translation?
>>
File: 1471565546221.jpg (39KB, 357x384px)
1471565546221.jpg
39KB, 357x384px
Learn Koine Greek and read the original new testament.

Also, get a Septuagint for the old testament.
(This is the same old testament translation St Paul used)

Seriously though
KJV for aesthetic
NIV if you cant read the KJV
>>
ESV
>>
File: 1489236049030.png (2MB, 1512x1512px)
1489236049030.png
2MB, 1512x1512px
>>9367373
Thank you. Don't really have the time to learn ancient greek rn but maybe someday. Is there any discernable difference between NIV and ESV? Also why are these editions less aesthetic than the KJV? Is it because of the antiquated use of english?
>>
File: Bible choice.png (74KB, 1696x1016px) Image search: [Google]
Bible choice.png
74KB, 1696x1016px
>>9367321
>>
>>9367321
Lattimore if you don't want denominational bias in the NT.
He has the best translation of Homer so you know he knows his Greek.
>>
Ok so now i've come down to NKJV, ESV and Lattimore translation... Or should I just go with the classic KJV
>>
How big a difference is there REALLY lads, on the book of Joshua GIDEONS VERSION

step up
>>
>>9367373
>Koine Greek
Disgusting, Christfags are so painfully plain.
>>
File: listen here, cunt.jpg (46KB, 371x324px) Image search: [Google]
listen here, cunt.jpg
46KB, 371x324px
>>9367488
>thinks Homeric greek is the same as New Testament greek
>>
>>9367520
Here's John 3:3 for a sample of the differences

NKJV
>Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

ESV
>Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again* he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
>[*Or 'from above'; the Greek is purposely ambiguous and can mean both again and from above; also verse 7]

KJV
>Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
>>
>>9367572
Thanks anon, very helpful!
I guess NKJV it is then.
Funny to see that there can be such a difference in translation as "born again" and "from above". These two sentences could have totally different meanings
>>
>>9367551
>He thinks they are two completely different languages

Besides some new vocabulary, pronunciation, the optative verb and a few irregular verbs they are pretty much the same.
>>
>>9367592
You always get stuff like that with translations, none will be perfect.

You can see doctrine creep in depending on who the translators are. The ESV was by Protestant scholars, so they have 'born again' in the main text because that's a big part of some Protestant churchs. But I have an NABRE which is a Catholic translation and does the verse and footnote like this:

NABRE
>Jesus answered and said to him, “Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born* from above.”
>[*From above: the Greek adverb anōthen means both “from above” and “again.” Jesus means “from above” (see Jn 3:31) but Nicodemus misunderstands it as “again.” This misunderstanding serves as a springboard for further instruction.]
>>
>>9367611
What does born from above mean
>>
>>9367592
I wouldn't recommend NKJV, it purposefully uses outdated source texts if you're concerned about accuracy.
>>
>>9367634
What about NAS then?
>>
>>9367680
Not that anon, but yeah, NASB is perfectly good.
>>
NRSV is the only english language bible that exists, desu
>>
Don't listen to the NRSV trolls, it's not very good. RSV-CE is where it's at.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.