[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the FUCK do I come to peace with the time we live in? Think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 27

File: images (17).jpg (19KB, 543x271px) Image search: [Google]
images (17).jpg
19KB, 543x271px
How the FUCK do I come to peace with the time we live in?

Think of all the great periods in history, the art, the literary works

And now we are stuck with youtube philosophers baiting matierial for subscribers and middlebrow Tv shows like true detective and mad men?

Nothing good will come from this period

Look at Pynchon, a genius, he attempted to write about the now and it was a tragic failure

I am forced into basically either
A) wageslave cuck
B) homelessness
C) cliche fuck the establishment degenerate

Fucking help me
>>
You man up and stop this stupid whining.
>>
>>9362503
but that was always the 3 options. Those are respectively
A) Epictetus
B) Diogenes
C) Socrates

I know this its cliché but it takes time for the cream to rise at the top. Our role in the present is to find the jewel worth preserving for the future, among the rough. This is how its always been.
>>
This is why I contemplate ending it all daily op
>>
>>9362503
>tragic failure
I want pseuds to leave
>>
>Nothing good will come from this period
Until I publish my novel...

>I am forced into basically either
>A) wageslave cuck
>B) homelessness
>C) cliche fuck the establishment degenerate
I pick B), you pussy.
>>
File: 12Y1BYN.jpg (54KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
12Y1BYN.jpg
54KB, 720x720px
You have access to the collective knowledge of the entirety of human civilization on a piece of glass and plastic that fits into your pocket, and you're whining about it?

It has never been easier to communicate with people and never been easier to travel. If your life is boring and unstimulating, that's entirely your fault.

At least in the modern era we have a much greater chance of making what we desire of our lives, if we have the fortitude and ability.

Had you been born even 100 years ago, statistically speaking you would almost certainly have lived a life of illiterate, back-breaking labor only to die at an early age. Fuck it, if you hadn't lucked out and been born in a decent country, there's still a solid chance that that would have happened to you.

On a historical scale, you are so absurdly, unbelievably lucky that it's almost laughable that you have as much potential as you do. Have some fucking gratitude instead of whining about it, then man the fuck up and make use of the opportunities modern Western society provides.
>>
>>9362503
Just because there's huge amount of mediocre at best media doesn't mean the small margin of academic tier knowledge will be gone.
>>
>>9362677
>It has never been easier to communicate with people and never been easier to travel.
The quintessential normie redditor, the problem with "people" today. Go fucking hang yourself.
>>
>>9362666
why not b and c, you're a degenerate both ways
>>
>>9362677
kys
>>9362707
/thread and its not even about the post
>>
Actually read about the art produced in past centuries, you'll realise it's not that great
>>
>>9362707

Nope, take your angry "fuck anyone who isn't a fat depressed neckbeard" BS back to r9k.
>>
>>9362730
>"Nope"
>"BS"
>that picture
It's so fucking painfully obvious, how are you not ashamed of what you are?
>>
>>9362707
>4chan
fix'd
>>
>>9362677
Read Adorno

>>9362730
>posts Peterson picture
>tries to invalidate another's suffering and experience

Sort yourself out
>>
File: image.jpg (275KB, 764x551px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
275KB, 764x551px

Think of all the great periods in history, the art, the literary works

And now we are stuck with tavern bards singing dirty, vulgar songs to the drunks and literally fucking clowns in every piazza of this Empire?

Nothing good will come from this period

Look at Miltom, a genius, he attempted to write about the now and it was a tragic failure

I am forced into basically either
A) serfdom
B) Militar service
C) a life of crime

Fucking help me
>>
>>9362503
>How the FUCK do I come to peace with the time we live in?

You have three options:

1) The Christ option, accept your condition of suffering, by accepting you will find peace.

2) The Marx option, revolt and try to bring some change.

3) The samurai option, just kys.

I would go for 1 or 3 tbqh. Good luck, OP.
>>
>>9362677
>lucked out and been born in a decent country
*le accident of birth* is the WORST meme

i could not be other than who i am
>>
>>9362814
not true, you could be a nigger lover if you tried reaaaaaaaaal hard
>>
>>9362503
>everything was always better before
they all thought the same when they were alive
>>
>>9362810
you should go for 3
>>
>>9362503
I fucking hate pseuds so goddamn much.
If it's as bad as you think (it is actually less shitty than it was in the past) go do something about it. I you only see those 3 options for life, you are an average pleb, as lower class unintelligent fucktard as one can be. WW3 can't come soon enough for you fucks to die out.
In fact any of these historical people you worship would gladly cut their dick off to have the same opportunities as you, there is just so much to do and it's easier than ever. You are the problem.
>>
>>9362825
Edgy
>>
>>9362825
hahahahahahahaha i cant even imagine being this dumb

only the most vulgar sensete would enjoy this era
>>
>>9362814
please develop for brainlet
>>
>>9362503
Good art is still here. It just doesn't get mass published because corporate Jews have finally influenced our culture to easily pleased, easily predictable cows. To find anything that isn't streamlined you have to go deep underground. Not fake "underground" either.
>>
>>9362837
>hahahahaha

You seem to be enjoying it quite a bit
>>
>>9362503
>born in le wrong generation
>>
>>9362834
>>9362837
Not even him but you and the others itt sounds like #borninthewrongera plebbit perception to me. It is definetely a decadent time, doesn't mean that nobody can emerge from it though
>>
>>9362837
if a great man existed he would enjoy this era, because he's great and thus his life is worth living no matter where he lives it

stop proclaiming your weakness as a strenght
stop feeling resentment
>>
File: Ohwow.jpg (36KB, 562x437px) Image search: [Google]
Ohwow.jpg
36KB, 562x437px
>>9362735
>It's so fucking painfully obvious, how are you not ashamed of what you are?

What do I have to be ashamed of? I've been posting on 4chan for over a decade - the fact that I don't hate life doesn't counteract that.

>>9362774

>invalidate another's suffering and experience

Ahah. Wow. Ok. And I'm the one accused of being a fucking redditor? Jesus.
>>
nah
>>
>>9362856
Not even ironic, please tell me some actual good contemporary books
>>
>>9362677
The industrial revolution and it's consequences have been a disaster for mankind
>>
File: 1491575623045.jpg (57KB, 688x628px) Image search: [Google]
1491575623045.jpg
57KB, 688x628px
This is the greatest era in human history to be a white person in the West. The knowledge is endless. The pleasure is endless. Only anhedonic brainlets who cover up their failures as a human being through virtue signaling disagree.
>>
>>9362888

It has had disastrous consequences - that's not the same as saying it was a universal disaster.

Can you say with a straight face that you'd honestly prefer to live as a 17th century peasant, or even townsman, than as a modern, first world citizen?

Because if you can, I have an easy solution for you - work for a year or two, save up some money, buy a plot of land, build a cabin, grow your own crops, tend a herd of animals from which you can harvest and voila - you're now a 17th century farmer (except with the option of copping out and returning to society whenever the going gets tough, instead of dying of starvation or cold or thirst or an easily curable disease).

You know why you won't do that? Because it would fucking suck, that's why. All this "boo fucking hoo life was so much better before everything I like was invented" crap is just an excuse to not do anything interesting with your life. You convince yourself life outside your bedroom sucks so you don't have to go to the effort of leaving.

The fact that you're sitting on an online imageboard whining about the effects of industrialization is so far beyond ironic it's absurd.
>>
Try to effect change, or blow your brains out. I don't really care what you do, as you seem pretty weak-minded.
>>
>>9362503
get a job
>>
>>9362925
At least farmers that time thought their work served some higher function and not just perpetuating the meme that is the economy. Hesiod in "Works and Days" connected the toils of farming with the human condition and set it in context of the larger cosmos. Virgil's "Eclogues" wrote about how farming was a metaphor for the conflict between man's desire to control the natural world and the violent nature of nature. Everything is so surface-level nowadays. Our sense of a transcendence is gone and all were left with is nihilism.

Also, you can still be critical of your own historical situation and still partake in it. You cannot escape history.
>>
>>9363506
>At least farmers that time thought their work served some higher function and not just perpetuating the meme that is the economy.
Maybe the landowners of large farms which only accounted for a tiny percent of the farming population. Do you really think a women would go "it's time to fuck my back and send myself to an early grave to pick up some fucking leftovers from the ground that is a result of someone doing other backbreaking work just so we can get enough money to be able to destroy my body again" would find a lot of meaning in 3what they did? The vast majority of farmers died young, developed terrible physical problems, were poor, and illiterate, had no education, never traveled more than a few miles from their place of work unless ferrying their goods. And do you know why they did all this? The reason they destroyed their bodies was to setup a meme economy that benefits an elite far more than themselves.

>Everything is so surface-level nowadays.
You can't take the writings of two great writers and expect their writings to somehow represent the way the majority of people actually believed.
Have you ever actually met any modern day farmers. I've known a lot going from small time wage earner sheep shearers, to small independent farmers, to moderately large farmers with many employees. Those sentiments of Virgil and Hesiod are not present in any of those that I meet. There is something nice about being more obviously connected to how you earn your money, and there is something nice about a job that involves exercise but it's hardly exclusive to farming, that many jobs in the biggest cities in the world also do that, and that those benefits are not in themselves enough for the majority of people to partake in them to greatly enjoy them.
>>
>>9362503
Said every human at every point in history at least once in their lives.
>>
>>9363696
Seems like an important question then.
>>
>>9363713
No, just shut up and work you dumb ape.
>>
File: hNvanuN.jpg (352KB, 1200x732px) Image search: [Google]
hNvanuN.jpg
352KB, 1200x732px
>>9362677
Struggle breeds greatness.

The comforts we have today only diminish our ability to experience struggle.
>>
>>9363717
wow, holy shit did you come up with that on your own
you should become like a philosopher man
>>
>>9363717
Properly directed struggle breeds greatness. The lack of education diminished older peoples ability to make their struggle work towards anything. There is also nothing to stop people today from engaging with struggle, but there were things stopping people from other times to learn.
>>
File: DEMIURGE.png (107KB, 766x996px) Image search: [Google]
DEMIURGE.png
107KB, 766x996px

You don't.
>>
>>9363717
But most people on Earth are living in poverty, and in the West, where life is usually comfortable, new generations are igetting increasingly smarter, academic and productive.
I mean, is there any parameter under which you could say that our contemporary man is inferior to the man that lived 300 years ago?
>>
>>9363733
Don't read this, it summons satan
>>
You clearly like history, so read it.
>>
>>9362872
stop posting now thanks
>>
>>9363733
>Christianity
I hope that one great day this awful meme will be put in the ground with Islam and Judaism.
>>
>>9363754
no :^)
>>
File: orangutan.jpg (66KB, 850x565px) Image search: [Google]
orangutan.jpg
66KB, 850x565px
>>9363713
No, you've missed the point. Every single person who has ever lived (unless they have Down's syndrome or some other serious mental defect) has, at some point, whined about all the great shit that happened in the past and how the present is intellectually degenerate or decadent and "nothing good will come from it." This is babbie's first reactionary philosophy.

It's an absolutely trite and unimportant question.
>>
>>9362546
Epictetus was incredible. I recommend Discourses and the Enchiridion to everyone.
>>
>>9363760
>It's an absolutely trite and unimportant question.
What is not?
>>
File: Nietzsche (2).jpg (110KB, 485x669px) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche (2).jpg
110KB, 485x669px
>>9363765
>Epictetus

It's a great manual for how to sleep well at night or how to ignore the fact that you're alive.
I don't get how anyone can take the stoics serioulsy after Nietzsche.
>>
>>9363788
The one you just asked, for example. It would be necessary to any future discussion we would have, but the intercourse will stop here, since you're obviously a brainlet.
>>
>>9363800
>tfw when even Nietzsche's criticism and repudiation of Stoicism fell flat
>>
>>9363824
You can't even give me one(1)? And I'm the brainlet?
>>
>>9363788
How tight is your mother's butthole?
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>9363800
>>
>>9363834
Never seen or felt it so I don't know.
>>
>>9363825
Not an argument. Be specific.

>>9363836
I could reply with the same picture but I'm too lazy.
>>
>>9363765
jusst ignore shieeet lol br oxdddd
>>
>>9363828
>asks what questions aren't meaningless
>asks

This is your last chance to understand my point.

You are asking questions necessary to a discussion. These questions are not trite because they aim at a specific answer. The question "how the FUCK do I come to peace with the time we live in" is a meaningless one because each person is going to answer it differently: it isn't aimed at a specific purpose, it's thrown into the ether in the hope that some unknown response will jog some kind of inexplicable reaction. It's as worthless a question as all "philosophical" questions (in the sense that the word is commonly understood). It's a language puzzle to which the only acceptable answer is "there is no answer."

So, in this context, a meaningful question would be: why are you such a dullard?
>>
File: Marcus-Aurelius.jpg (234KB, 1600x1143px) Image search: [Google]
Marcus-Aurelius.jpg
234KB, 1600x1143px
>>9363857
Sorry man. Stoicism tells me that it is virtuous to make the best use of my time. 4chan arguments will do the world no good.
>>
>>9362725
The fuck do you mean read "about" you faggot?
>>
>>9363857
I was hoping it was bait for your benefit. All you have done is shown that you don't understand the first thing about stoicism. Let me guess you read something like Epictetus or Aurelius without knowing what virtue ethics is or without having read modern scholarship on stoicism or without knowing any Greek. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/stoicism/
You didn't even have to do much reading to get a basic understanding of it either.
>>
>>9363869
>it tells me
>doing the world good
Platitudes.
>>
>>9363861
Are you really this stupid that you can't understand what I've been posting? Why are you talking about OP now? Is it because I'm right and you don't want to look stupid?

I'll try again, this is your last chance to understand my point. Or else I will downvote you into oblivion, my little reddifriend.

What is not an absolutely trite and unimportant question?
>>
>>9363877
if anybody criticizes my childish ideology, then theyre just dumb and havent read nuffin!
>>
>>9363878
Your post-modern worldview is not an answer.
>>
>>9363869
>Stoicism tells me
>can't think for himself

You're living like a dog, Anon.

>>9363877
I'm not an expert about the stoics but I've read quite a few important works. Thanks for the link by the way.

>All you have done is shown that you don't understand the first thing about stoicism.

All I have done is to quote Nietzsches view about the Stoics. Are you saying that he didn't know what he was talking about?

It would be nice if you could give some examples why you think Nietzsches
observation that most people are denying their lifes is wrong instead of claiming that I don't know shit about pathos, ethos and logos.
>>
>>9363916
>answers
*shits out platitudes*
>>
>>9363883
>repeats himself in the face of his own comprehension lacuna and the absence of an original, coherent thought
Confirmed brainlet
>>
File: 1417924868118.png (87KB, 608x580px) Image search: [Google]
1417924868118.png
87KB, 608x580px
>>9363934
>he doesn't take the guidance of men far wiser and more experienced
Stay mediocre, anon.
>>
>>9363944
>stoics
>wise
>experienced
You're the only mediocre one here
>>
>>9363944
So that's the way scholars of the stoic are speaking? That makes me sad.
>>
>>9363954
*stoa
>>
>mad men
>middlebrow

honestly OP just kill yourself now and do us the favour.
>>
File: what.jpg (14KB, 262x337px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
14KB, 262x337px
>>9363949
>Emperor of Rome
>Roman Senator
>Leader of a renowned school of philosophy
>Not experienced and wise
>>
>>9363982
If they were so wise why did it fall apart?
CHECKMATE /thread
>>
>>9363982
No, he's not.
Stop brown-nosing you little Letzter Mensch.
>>
File: 1481825001762.gif (892KB, 226x200px) Image search: [Google]
1481825001762.gif
892KB, 226x200px
>>9363986
>not realizing Rome was ruined by its overly gracious pension system, hundreds of years after Aurelius.
>>
>>9362503

nigga are you telling me people like wagner and nietzsche and edison and einstein and bill gates and English law and all that shit is just going to be forgotten?

This civilization has accomplished incomprehensible amounts, it's just that we've advanced so quickly that the decadence was given a path to encroach faster and faster than ever before

rest assured that when this shit collapses future peoples will marvel at space travel and early-stage quantum computing

sure, things suck now but that's what wealth does to societies

enjoy the endless hedonism or be the madman who dares to rail against it
>>
File: thefoundation.jpg (18KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
thefoundation.jpg
18KB, 350x500px
The Answer to Everything
>>
>>9364003
Off work already, Sean?
>>
>>9362503
>A) wageslave cuck

Making 14 bucks an hour to goof off online for 8 hours a day is hardly slavery.
>>
>>9363733
Brainlet here, can you expand on reactive love vs proactive love
>>
>>9364017
Slavery can take any objective appearance when the servitude is mental.
>>
>>9364017

you do realize that 14 dollars an hour is literally the new minimum wage, right
>>
>>9363733
Somebody doesn't understand Christianity.
>>
>>9364032

Where I live it's still 7.25, and I make a good deal more than that, it was just an example of the sort of "wage slave" job someone with a BA is likely to find themselves in.

>>9364029

It's not servitude, it's a mutually beneficial exchange of "labor" (not much) for money that either side can terminate at any time.
>>
>>9364056
With the implicit assumption that, for one side, termination of that "mutually beneficial exchange" leads to starvation and death. It's only "mutual benefit" in the sense that the labor realizes that he or she "has to do something." Also, the fact that they don't own their labor is more or less the definition of servitude. But I expect you'll repeat again what you've said already because you're a shill for what you think "capitalism" is.
>>
>>9364056
You forget that not only are they paying for labor, but also for your time. If you value the finite time you have on this earth at $14 an hour then that is great news for an employer.
>>
>>9364028

Reactive love: medical science.

Proactive love: ending pain and the body.
>>
>>9362503
You are living better than an old king my friend.

Nothing bad will come from this period

>I am forced into

Who is forcing you to adhere to that self prescribed limitations.

>wageslave cuck

Biz or invest you fucking cuck

>homelessness

Oh how you don't have a home. Go to a damn shelter or some cheap hostel you fucking lazy fuck.

>cliche fuck the establishment degenerate

How is this even an option? I would have put a great writer or something
>>
>>9364120
So, no more taking the dog to the vet, right?
>>
Is Western civilization declining or not? First of all, realize that there are no other civilizations left, and there haven't been for centuries, so the predicate "Western" is superfluous and even misleading (since it implies the existence of alternatives). Second, the fact that this question is even raised proves that the vast majority of so-called civilized individuals are nothing of the kind. I mean, you are seriously asking me whether a culture that's about to figure out how to print human organs is declining? What the fuck do all the minor symptoms of decline you are rabidly pointing out to us mean compared to such utterly astonishing and previously even unimaginable accomplishments? Not to mention the arrival of a person who has managed to reach the very end of philosophy itself, which is to say ofthought! which is an immeasurably harder and more valuable achievement! (since it was thought which created the theories with the help of which the machines that print human organs were designed in the first place, and so on). — In summa, the only one who is declining here are those who are saying that we are declining, which is a classic case of psychological projection. Civilization as a whole is obviously progressing, and its highest manifestation and greatest triumph so far is blatantly obviously myself (and imagine how much more glorious and fearsome I would become with genetically enhanced printed organs... or cybernetically enhanced and cloned to infinity to spread out and take over the entire universe...)
>>
>>9364139

"What about all the countless and rapidly escalating symptoms of decline then?" — The bigger and stronger you get, the more you eat and drink, and therefore the more you piss and shit. How hard is this simple truth of life for you retards to grasp?
>>
Do what the rest of us do faggot

Ignore it.
>>
This is the dumbest thread in the dumbest board.
ITT ppl who really believe it was better to live in the 19th cen.
>>
>>9363979
>this tv show i watch is for patricians like me, how DARE you say otherwise
>>
>>9364130
>Biz

Wtf is that board gonna do for me
>>
>>9363689
I grew up in a farm, btw. It was a very small one, where my grandfather kept all of the produce and sometimes sold a portion to his neighbors. He did it and still does it for the sake of it rather than money as he has another job to supprt his livelihood. I find that more noble than doing it to simply earn money but still falling short of extracting genuine insight from that everyday experience. Anyways, the problem is precisely what you said. Everything is so utilitarian. People only do it for its use, like exercise or monetary gain. This is what I meant by things being shallow.

Just to clarify, in no way am I advocating a return to pre-modern times. Modern medicine and technology are too valuable to throw away.
>>
Why don't people understand that we're moving into the post-literate era and a return to myth. If you want to make art try some other medium.
>>
>>9362503
kill yourself, pseud. There's more good art being created today than at any other point in history
>>
>>9365130
Give me 5 examples
>>
Instead of only complaining about it be the change you want to see.
>>
>>9362650
Me too :(
>>
File: Grass Captcha.png (402KB, 402x602px) Image search: [Google]
Grass Captcha.png
402KB, 402x602px
>>9362503

>I am forced into basically either
>A) wageslave cuck
>B) homelessness

A true artist does all three, and gets his writing done while fucking whores and crying simultaneously.
>>
In 1000 years people are going to think we worshipped men in bat suits.
>>
>>9364003
goonan

goonan desu
>>
But the greatest American long poem was written recently over here:

http://www.cosmoetica.com/American%20Imperium.htm
>>
What a stupid post
>>
>>9362503
How about you just fucking kill yourself?
>>
Stop being a mopey little shit.

The world as a whole, with all of the farcical goings-on of humanity, is an astounding work of art. Celebrate the inane, relish in your hatred of it. Every moment of existence is incredible, no matter what's going on.
>>
>>9362677
There's literally nothing wrong with this post. Everybody who cries about this dude being wrong is mad that their life sucks and that they have to realize it's largely their fault

/thread you whiny fags
>>
>>9365616
>he fell for the individualism meme
>>
>>9364139
>First of all, realize that there are no other civilizations left
I didn't know China was western
>>
File: 6ryyedp.jpg (32KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
6ryyedp.jpg
32KB, 480x480px
I love that most of you faggots are comparing the situation now to what was and acting as if that is an argument with any weight.

Life sucks, has always sucked, and will always suck. Most people are sheep of what kind of another, but they all pretend to know 'the way'.

Psychology and History have been used as excuses for why we continue in shitty behavior, as if saying it was worst in the past is a justification.

Fuck all of you, most of you shit post on 4chan and pretend like you're better than everyone else, only to stop the creeping black void of your pathetic and miserable lives from embracing you.

Live for yourself OP, there is nothing more you can do, avoid people who have answers, and just deal with the blackness with distractions; hopefully when you die it will finally end, but somehow I doubt it.
>>
>>9365637
>only to stop the creeping black void of your pathetic and miserable lives from embracing you.
nice projection
>>
Raze the superstructure to the ground is the only way.
>>
>>9365637
>Live for yourself OP

are you even aware of this paradox
>>
>>9365637
>Live for yourself OP
Isn't that philosophy the root of all the rootlessness that people are complaining about no pun intended
>>
>>9365654
Honestly, it is all empty fucking words, just like anything else.
>>
>>9365660
This is what people criticize postmodernism for
>>
File: 1491581973007.jpg (10KB, 263x264px) Image search: [Google]
1491581973007.jpg
10KB, 263x264px
STOP BEING
>>
>>9362823
this
>>
File: 1491881928625.jpg (31KB, 263x264px) Image search: [Google]
1491881928625.jpg
31KB, 263x264px
>>9365667
WE MUST START BECOMING AGAIN
FUEL THE METAPHYSICAL SPACE
BURN THE BOOKS
DESTROY THE CITIES
ONLY KEEP THE MYTHS
>>
People will try to convince you that modern times are great because muh iphone. They have low intelligence and are easily amused by gimmicks. Indeed the times we live in are shit. However you're falling into the opposite trap of idealizing prior times. Characterizing prior ages by "the literary works" is retarded.
Also whining about wageslaving just reveals you to be a pure pseud.

>b-b-but muh passion, muh feels

Go to work, shut your mouth, and do your job. If you can't even master that then you certainly shouldn't be thinking about art.
>>
>>9362677
>You have access to the collective knowledge of the entirety of human civilization on a piece of glass and plastic that fits into your pocket, and you're whining about it?

You cannot access what you don't know.
>>
>>9365637
>only to stop the creeping black void of your pathetic and miserable lives from embracing you.
Speak for yourself m8
>>9365153
Cheesy as this is, it's the most honest answer you'll get OP
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 480x322px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 480x322px

Think of all the great periods in the first stages of our geological history, the mountains, the rivers

And now we are stuck with fucking shit caves, humming simple music and middlebrow graffitis?

Nothing good will come from humanity

Look at the beauty pf the sea, the rain, fog and wind: will we ever manage to top the sheer magnificence of these natural events?

I am forced to be either a
A) hunter
B) gatherer
C) cliche shaman degenerate

Fucking help me
>>
>>9362810
4) National Socialism
>>
I think I'm going to become a sailor
>>
>>9362791
Wrongly devalued post

OP it has historically been hellishly shitty for the lower classes. If you are rich though you should give me money to help with my "novel"
>>
>>9362546
underrated post
>>
File: IMG_6541.jpg (80KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6541.jpg
80KB, 960x960px
>>9362666
>>9364000

check'd, trips truth;

>>9362677
>>9362688
>>9362866
>>9363733
>>9363788
>>9363800
>>9363877
>>9363944
>>9362688
>>9367211

check'd, dubs half truth

everyone else, kys
/thread
>>
>>9367214
go back to /b/ you fag
>>
>>9364000
>He doesnt know about Fermis Paradox

Actually getting really upset with this brainlet idea that we will reach space travel. Getting REAL bothered that you cant just see the Earth as the coffin for mankind and that normie Americanized ideologies like the ideas of progress and efficiency get posted in my beautiful /lit/ board. Let go of the material world or gtfo this board norms.
>>
File: 1490560219736.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1490560219736.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>9367225
just for you xxxxx
>>
>Le born in the wrong generation
>>
>>9363746
>new generations are getting increasingly smarter
lolwhat?
>>
>>9362503
fuck you mad men was great television
>>
>>9368170
The IQ has kept rising for 100 years now. The common contemporary man is way smarter and more educated than the common 19th and 20th century man, and we've never had as many geniuses as today.
What are you complaining about? Do you even realize how much would you have hated commoners in 1850? Do you realize how vulgar, disgusting, philosophically blind and superstitious were common people as early as 1930?

The world is not ideal, but when it comes to the people it's certainly better now than ever.
>>
File: image.png (350KB, 630x662px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
350KB, 630x662px
>>9368264
t. Someone who probably classifies Sam Harris as one of the "many genius" or our era.

We live in an age of bureaucratic decay, with a growing parasite population, sub replacement birth rate, dysgenic reproduction, un-restrained deep-state with no checks, post modern denial of all truth. We are living in hell, the most moral thing that can happen is our destruction by barbarians, who despite their shortcomings, actually have their souls in tune with the incontrovertible will of Reality
>>
>>9368292
>t. Someone who probably classifies Sam Harris as one of the "many genius" or our era.

I hate him vehemently.

>We live in an age of bureaucratic decay, with a growing parasite population, sub replacement birth rate, dysgenic reproduction, un-restrained deep-state with no checks, post modern denial of all truth.

Nice buzzwords you've learnt on the internet.
By the way your hero, JP, holds the same opinion as him: by most metric you can think of this has been one of the best generations in history.
People in the West are mostly moral and ethical, have a basic education, are literate, have passions, and on top of that they're as productive as any human being has ever been under capitalism. Why would I want a mass genocide in the West?

I may criticize the system we live under, but the common man has almost no part in it. Do you think that French peasants in the 14th century would have just overthrown everything in order to build something better? Be realistic, this is, so far, as good as it gets, and there is still room for massive improvement.
>>
>>9368264
>The common contemporary man is way smarter and more educated than the common 19th and 20th century man
You're falling for Jewish lies my friend. The ever-increasing test scores on education, intelligence, etc. are nothing but deception

r/Science and YouTube videos don't account for education. The contemporary man is hyper-informed but has no actual knowledge. Also, the youth of our day and age is exceptionally dumb; the ability to play video games is by no means a trait of intelligence, they fail at the most basic tasks (e.g. cooking a meal).

>The world is not ideal, but when it comes to the people it's certainly better now than ever.
No, it most certainly isn't because there is no hope to be seen anywhere on the horizon. The cult of mediocrity has demolished Western culture and we are being replaced by third-world subhumans in our own countries. We have surpassed the point of no return, this is the end of the West.

Call me a dumb /pol/lack, I care not. The contemporary society is a nightmare, but the majority has been irredeemably brainwashed - they cannot see what is going on in front of their very own eyes.
>>
>>9365667
>>9366602
This honestly Desu
>>
>>9368421
Who is this supposed to be?
>>
>>9362725
Not him but don't read all the early English novels, no one knew what they were doing so they were mostly shit. Reading about them would still give OP an indication of not all old art was great and all new forms of discussion take time to mature.
>>
>>9368445
>>9368445
Meant for
>>9363874
>>
>>9368430
Oswald Spengler
>>
>>9363861
lol
>>
>>9362925
>Live in a comfy village
>Everyone knows each other and cares for one another
>Everybody worships together and hold's the community to the same set of morality
>Don't give a shit that I have to serve a lord, that's just the way it goes. He protects me, I pay my taxes, nothing wrong with that (doing it already irl)
>No shit tier deconstructionist faggots around so people aren't anxiously self-aware and agitating about power structures and rights.
>Everyone has spiritual certainty that they are part of God's plan, no existential crises. Men are taught how to be men, women are taught how to be women.
>Sure there's lots of awful diseases and war is always possible, but at least I don't have the internet so I'm not constantly remind of the depths of human suffering that are possible.
>Even if I get sick or go to war, I can find comfort in the certainty that God exists and my suffering will be rewarded in the afterlife.

Sounds comfy tbqh.
>>
>>9368500
You are a weak willed slave. Don't blame the world for your own failure to capitalize on the benefits of the present.
>>
>>9365624
>implying OP isn't the ultimate individualist

kys
>>
>>9368500
Damn he got schooled, ignorance is bliss and all that.
>>
>>9368500
You can obtain this by watching junk TV 24/7, or by hanging out in any bar with random drunks, avoiding in this way the non-existent social mobility, wars, famines, deadly illnesses and, more in general, a shit, uninteresting society.
>>
>>9368578
Egoism is vile and life denying. You call me slave, but you are master of air and dust. You would throw a man into the middle of the ocean, and tell him to rejoice that he is free to swim wherever he chooses.

One day you'll grow up and realize that being part of a hierarchy is a human need. Having the humility to respect a proper authority is not slavery, it is the natural way of things.
>>
>>9368622
No, can you really not see the qualitative difference? It's not just about being ignorant of bad stuff.
>>
>>9368629
You sound afraid anon, and it's ironic telling me to "grow up" while you still believe in false narratives to keep the black void in your soul at bay. You are a pathetic slave for that very reason, terrified of having to think and act for yourself because you don't know what to do. You are the failed product of this aimless world, not me, failing to take advantage of the opportunity to define yourself and instead wallow like a little girl for not having your purpose in life handed to you. You will always be a slave, in the past and present, because that's what you are. hmm mm maybe your right anon, there is a hierarchy, a hierarchy that will always put you on the bottom no matter the time period
>>
>>9368327
>they fail at the most basic tasks (e.g. cooking a meal)
The joke's on you man, I just learned how to fry an egg.
>>
>>9367021

kekkekekekek
>>
>>9368711
No I feel sorry for you. You don't realize that you can only define yourself in relation to others. You can only have a purpose in the context of a group. This idea that human's should be free to choose their own values and meaning is retarded. You might be the one a billion ubermensch who can (which I highly doubt), but most people can barely stick to a diet or clean their rooms. It is monstrously cruel to expect them to handle existance and the suffering inherent to it and just tell them to suck it up and figure out how to deal with it.

People need structure and guidance to grow, and they have always gotten that from their community. It is ingrained in our biology to operate in small social groups. You might as well call someone a slave for breathing or eating.

You say you have freedom to define yourself and choose your purpose, but you sound just like the same cookie cutter cynical nihilist I've seen a thousand times before, bitter at existance because he has nothing to believe in but his own will, which is never going to be enough because he's a human with limitations like everyone else. Keep telling yourself you're strong and smart enough to master reality. Most likely you'll just wind up a bitter misanthrope who hates existence. Why do you think all the edgy cynical writers you like put a gun in their mouth by 40?

Grow up.
>>
>>9362677
This is 100% true. Fuck off OP.
>>
>>9368810
>You can only have a purpose in the context of a group.
And so here you are, posting on 4chan, hoping that your black mirror will reproduce an acceptable substitute for the connection you crave as necessity, sweating furiously, expounding your ressentiment toward children: alone.

Read some Heidegger you fucking degenerate.
>>
>all these complacent incompetent nerds blaming the fact no big wars are the reasons for their failures

HHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHHAH

YOUR GREAT GRANDFATHERS FOUGHT AND DIED SO YOU COULD HAVE THE FREEDOMS AND LUXURIES YOU DO NOW

AND YOUR RESPONSE IS:

>i want another war so it cleanses society

KILL

YOUR

SELVES
>>
>>9370140
Lmao, I simply posted that it would be comfy to live in the 17th century and you sperged the fuck out. Why do get so violently upset when people don't agree that cynical nihilism is the best way to live? Why do you keep projecting resentment and fear onto me? I just think it's sad to see another anon fall for the nihilism meme. I think you're only proving my point as this thread goes on. Being a misanthrope is no way to live, friend.

Read some Dostoevsky you lost soul
>>
>>9370376
You're attacking a straw man to make your life seem fuller, brodie. I am not a cynic neither a nihilist nor am I a misanthrope, but you are certainly deluded.

If you'd read Heidegger you'd at least be familiar with the concept of always being alone with yourself.
>>
>>9370175
In all honesty, I think if they could see the state of things today, our great grandfathers would have never bothered fighting.
>>
>>9370400
>the state of things today

what are the state of things today, O, enlightened one?
>>
Why do you need to be at peace?

Answer that question, address the weaknesses that create it, and you will, in a seeming paradox, find peace.
>>
>>9370392
You certainly seem like one. I simply thought the idea of a simple wholesome community would be comfy, and you felt compelled to call me a slave shackled by fear and resentment and whatnot. What compels you to such vitriol over a simple aesthetic judgement then? It certainly seems like misanthropic behavior.
>>
>>9370406
come on guy, don't be disingenuous.
>>
>>9370429
I'm not the person you first responded to, I simply pointed out the fact that you're alone, that you can only ever be technically alone even in the company of other people, and that you need to read Heidegger. I never called you a "slave," only deluded.
>hurr muh comfy
Don't fall back on memes to hide your intellectual deficit.
>>
>>9364139
>who has managed to reach the very end of philosophy itself

when you suddenly realize it's an icycalm post
>>
>>9370456
Oh, well fucking of course we're ultimately alone captain obvious. You don't have to live in an atomised, alienated society to reach self-actualization though. That doesn't change the fact that people have evolved to thrive in small, homogenous communities. The sheer level of complexity in modern life is untenable and certainly the cause for much of our psychological stress.
>>
>>9370508
I never said anything about the necessity to live in a society, "alienated" or otherwise. You're the only one making prescriptions about how humans do and ought to behave. They are not useful to me.

When I want to be absolutely alone, I am, and when I want to enjoy the company of others, I do so. What "people have evolved" to do and "the sheer complexity of modern life" mean as little to me as the little drops of rain the patter against my roof, and lull me peacefully to sleep.

I do not share your or "our" psychological stress, because I am not deluded.
>>
>>9370529
K famalam, have fun with that.
>>
File: viper2.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
viper2.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
>>9370564
I am, famalama big boy pajama
>>
>>9370572
>>9370572
Heh, you're not so bad famalama #16 for the San Francisco 49ers Joe Montana
>>
>>9362503

There is nothing to come to peace with.

Art does not matter. Philosophy does not matter. Greatness is mental illness and vanity. Progress is a fad.

Is your stomach full? Yeah? Then stop whining.
>>
>>9362677
actually one of the best posts I've seen in a while.
>>
>>9365642
lol
>>
>>9365660
kys
>>
>>9366990
Yes i'll be a less neoliberal society... Fucking ghandi
>>
>all this retarded arguing

what the fuck are you all even trying to accomplish at this point?

I get it. You're mad. Going on this website though? an absolute waste of time. Its why I bring you here.
>>
>>9362503
Maybe if you developed some skills you wouldn't be sitting here blaming the times.
>>
>>9362503

Yeah, but you'd still have to be a wageslave or homeless, so really it's just A or B
>>
>>9362503
>A) wageslave cuck
>B) homelessness

most people have been one variation of these in every age of mankind
>>
>one of the major parts of being a stoic is about to overcome weakness and be reasonable about the world is imperfect, and we are here to make it better
>marky mark himself tell us that our life is probably just a little glimpse between two parts of ethernal void
>OP is wanna to be a stoic but complains that world is not comfortable enough and not good enough for him, so he do not want to start to make it better

You don't want to be a Stoic.

Also, about art. There are so many good people making art (and doing science too), and it's not hard to find them if you are brave enough to overcome your disgust towards social interactions, homegrown cynicism and fear of becoming a 'hipster' after joining art circles. Maybe it's not as grandioso as your favorite classic poet or prose author, but still it's humans expressing their beliefs.
>>
>>9363800
Can you develop please, I'm interested
>>
>>9362546
Fuck the future
Thread posts: 197
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.