[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into the myths, sagas, and folklore of ancient

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 2eb9da86d5d3eb89cd1f7401fd080bd1.jpg (811KB, 2222x3026px) Image search: [Google]
2eb9da86d5d3eb89cd1f7401fd080bd1.jpg
811KB, 2222x3026px
I want to get into the myths, sagas, and folklore of ancient europe particularly Northern Europe and The Anglo-Saxons.

Where should I get started assuming I've got nothing to go on.

Also is Joseph Campbell worth reading?
>>
The Long Ships is fun

Also Snorri Sturluson
>>
>>9360728
go home /pol/
>>
>>9360754
kys
>>
>>9360728
There are no anglo-saxon myths or sagas as there are norse ones. If you're really set on something to do with englishness I might suggest fantasy. otherwise just go with the norse prose and poetic eddas.
>>
>>9360847
Norse is fine, thank you. I'm interested in early English people but am aware that their record keeping was garbage.
>>
>>9360754

Preach it sister. PoC myths are very unappreciated.
>>
>>9360855
I forgot to mention beowulf is an essential reading but it was written presumably by a christian and has christian themes but it's extremely valuable and worth reading nonetheless
>>
>>9360860
If there any good ones I'd like to add them to my list as well. I'm just starting with my ancestors and branching out.

Trying to get on the comparative mythology train.
>>
>>9360728
My ancestor's diary
>>
File: Poetic_Edda_Cover.jpg (59KB, 420x681px) Image search: [Google]
Poetic_Edda_Cover.jpg
59KB, 420x681px
The Poetic Edda and Beowulf are the two that come off the top of my head. Most else of what you'll likely read is romanticization from the 1800's or revised tales. It is also worth noting that Grimm's Fairy Tales and Hans Christians Andersens compilations of fairy tales are likely the remnants of the leftover folk and pagan beliefs through time. Or honestly just some of the parables those folks told their children.

Note on the Poetic Edda and Beowulf, because you are likely reading a translation or the olde english version/norse note that these were meant to be sung as that seems to be the case with any bit of dark ages literature
>>
Also getting into Olde English if you're interested a copy of the Wycliffe Bible is arguably essential as its from the transitional era. It was written for the lollard heresy.

Another thing as well is that reading the accounts of the Christian Missionaries up north(I Don't have any books for this) might also make mention of certain practices and actions of the vikings.
>>
>>9360963
Wycliffe bible came centuries after what OP is interested in
>>
>>9360969
It did but it contains a primitive version of English which I imagine might possibly be within op's interests.
>>
>>9360979
I know you don't mean ill but I'm going to have to be autistic and tell you it's middle english and not primitive.
>>
>>9360984
>lish whic
Have you read the fucking thing, before the standardization of spelling that thing is like reading something made by a child.
>>
Also op the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle and anything else by Bead or surviving poems from the era might be of interest to you.
>>
>>9360993
Well, the language was pronounced differently at the time and seems to have been more soundly phonetically based, but the lack of standardization does render it unlike to english writing of the past several centuries
>>
>>9361010
Meant to say the orthography was more phonetically based
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.