[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey this is my first time on /lit/ Here's my elevator pitch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1474768821973.jpg (326KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474768821973.jpg
326KB, 1920x1080px
Hey this is my first time on /lit/
Here's my elevator pitch for a novel I've been thinking about writing
>Sci-fi
>Set in future, but not far future
>due to climate change, the earth is growing less and less hospitable
>an alien race visits humanity at some point before book starts, offering to save the entire race, all ~10billion people on their advanced space ship (which already carries a few other intelligent species)
>the catch is everyone has to come, because the in return the alien race has to harvest and ultimately destroy earth for raw materials
>enter protagonist
>logical guy, genuinely believes that this "Ark" is the best thing for humanity
>over the book realizes despite what is best for humanity, he wants to die on earth
>its illegal to return to earth
>struggles, sneaks, and ultimately succeeds to get back to earth moments before its destruction
>dies happy, feeling the breeze on his face one last time before vaporization, becoming the last man to die on earth
obviously i'd flesh it out a lot, talk about the alien culture and how humanity reacted to such a massive shift, maybe even add a love interest, but the question is

Would you read it?
>>
>>9360038
You don't have to say its your first time o lit, we can tell.

Don't bog down your story with genre trash conventions-- there doesn't need to be hundreds of pages of fluff with the alien's backstory and for the love of god don't add a love interest.

Focus on the struggle of a man whose pulled between logic and his feelings. Get us really intimate with the guy and make it fucking beautiful when he dies.
>>
Why would the aliens save us when they could just give zero fucks and harvest raw materials w/o rescuing humanity? Also second the no love interest thing; it's unnecessary because your main character will already be conflicted about his decision as you described, and will therefore probably feel forced and stereotypical.
>>
>>9360124
well the idea was that they are not the classical "cold unfeeling destructive aliens"
they value intelligent life and believe that different species can add new ideas and its their mission to save as much intelligent life as they can.
>>
>>9360087
yea i would honestly have the aliens as more of a plot point, i think i would make it so aliens and humans dont interact really because the aliens dont allow it. "it causes too much conflict"
only leaders and ambassadors meet
maybe at some point in the story, the protagonist meets an alien for the first time, but that would be a very big deal for him. I want to tell his story, not jizz over "muh deep and complex world building"
>>
>>9360038
Pretty interesting pitch - sounds a bit like Son of the Martian's Wife by K.U. Cold.
>>
>>9360249
That's a believable explanation -- and makes the story potentially much more interesting. Would read. As long as there's no love interest.
>>
Got it, no love interest. anyone got any interesting encounters/events that could happen along the way? for instance his first time meeting an alien, etc
>>
>>9360284
K.U. Cold? cuckold?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.