[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

His prose is pleb-tier in Japanese. How do you Anglo novel readers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 34264462.jpg (29KB, 620x456px) Image search: [Google]
34264462.jpg
29KB, 620x456px
His prose is pleb-tier in Japanese. How do you Anglo novel readers think he's anything above average?
>>
>>9359080
Anglos love stylistic minimalism.
>>
No one thinks he is.
>>
>>9359080

(Supposing pic is Murakami, since he does't have a sword and a samurai-headband)

I never heard anyone praising him for his prose. I like his personal mix of magical realism, nostalgia and sentimentality.
>>
>learning Japanese
>learned hiragana and katakana and basic stuff
>wonder where to go
>literally thousands of kanji to memorize, can't read anything yet

I don't even know where to begin my man
>>
>>9359080
a few weeks ago some anon was spouting about how his prose is amazing in Japanese, he was not a native speaker though. He also compared him to Proust and Nabokov.
>>
>>9359153
Don't memorize kanji bitch. If you memorized the kana and went through Tae Kim's grammar guide, then read a bunch of visual novels with text hookers to parse words.
>>
>>9359153
Why are kanji that much of a problem? From what I read, the basic set that everyone is supposed to know contains just 2000 of them, and books even have to make a special glossary of kanjis that aren't in that basic group, if they decide to use any.

Why can't you just memorize the 2000 kanjis like they were 2000 more words to learn? (I imagine that you already know at least 10000 words if this is the only problem that stops you from reading)
>>
>>9359323
Because Americans are monolingual mongrels that can't learn other languages. The kanji really isn't all that difficult to learn when you just study consiatently , but Americans think they're smart and that they should be able to read genji monogatari after having studied japanese for 1 month and know around 100 words and cant form a proper sentence.

Japanese really isn't much harder than say Spanish or German. It just takes 5-10 years to be able to speak and read it perfectly, like with any language.
>>
>>9359157
this is a photo of murakami, not mishima

mishima's japanese prose is unbelievably gorgeous, compares easily to Nabokov or the spanish of Borges

murakami just translates american idioms into japanese. his writing is as pedestrian in japanese as it is in english. i mean, sometimes he tells interesting stories, but sometimes redditors tell interesting stories too
>>
i don't know of any other postwar japanese writers who can write like mishima

there are several extremely entertaining and eccentric writers in the 60s and 70s, but nobody else who makes you think "this is a serious novel, and he's saying something real no shenanigans/spooks"
>>
>>9359876
lol. /lit/ always overrates Mishima. what is it with these melodramatic prose writers you all love so much? plant go fun and eccentric books are serious, no spook laden works.
>>
>>9359153
Learn Kanji
If you need help
>Download Imiwa?
>Press sort by Chinese radical
>Press All
>Memorize the radical meaning and how to write then using Anki
>Now memorize the first three categories of Kanji using Anki and stories based on the radicals
>Memorize all if your a fucking madman
>Mission accomplished
>>
>>9359887
Saying Mishima is a god is safer, because he's not read by the general population.
>>
Murakami's prose is not pleb, simply functional most times, sometimes a bit dull and very few times, sensational.
>>
>>9359849
Ignorant post.
The language is fairly isolated from many commonly learned languages. Of course its intimidating
>>
>>9360155
I speak 4 languages perfectly and am learning Japanese now, Japanese isn't much more difficult than other languages.
>>
>>9359323
2000 kanji =/= 2000 words.
Do you think Japanese only has 2000 words? Each kanji has several readings and meanings in different combinations.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.