[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /lit/, please help me with a problem. I've spent 3 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: uhohhhhh.jpg (26KB, 437x396px) Image search: [Google]
uhohhhhh.jpg
26KB, 437x396px
Hi /lit/, please help me with a problem.

I've spent 3 years working on a novel. I think I have what it takes to complete my first draft.

But I now realize that the story is.... it's okay. That's all. I'm proud of parts of it, but it's a story about modern-day outcasts being lonely, and rejecting each other when they really shouldn't. Pretty... pretty plain,stuff. Sad people being sad. Some half-baked message about the spiritual corruption of living in a consumer society, which I only half believe, since things are obviously better than they've ever been. Stuff about how being a man in today's society is difficult, even though I think it's never been easier to be a man, historically.

tl;dr, I wrote something immature that I only half believe in, and want to start on a new novel. Since I've started on this project, I've conceived of seven or eight great ideas that I'd love to get started on. But all this creative advice I've received says "FINISH IT", which I'm inclined to do because I've worked so long and I'm so close- but what's the point if I'm not very proud of it? It's gonna require probably another year of work to second draft and then receive editing.

What should I do? Any advice? Experience?
>>
>>9358796
Anon! YOU ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER!
>I wrote something immature that I only half believe in, and want to start on a new novel.
Then do another novel! Jeez, you already said it, my friend!

>I've conceived of seven or eight great ideas that I'd love to get started on.
You already said it! You wanted to start writing about it and you LOVE to get started already! Then why aren't you getting started already? A book is not a marriage! You don't love it anymore? Then you don't have a fucking ring to keep in your finger to bind you from saying no!

My friend, you've answered your question. If your book is starting to feel like a chore, take it out. Put it in the trash can where it belongs. Write another fucking amazing story that an amazing person like you could fucking do! Never put yourself in a stress that would probably lead you to depression just because you want to finish a chore that you believed to be a garbage!

Think of one thing:
1. If I publish this, would /lit/ like it?"
If the answer is no, then that's fine. But if the answer is yes then you're doing something great.
>>
>>9358796
It's like you're asking: "What is 1 + 1? I know the answer is two but my friend, Benedict, says its 3? What should I do?"

First of all, you are not Benefuckingdick! FUCK YOU BENEDICT AND YOUR STUPID ASS ADVISES!

Do what makes you feel alive! /lit/ will probably think its stupid but that's because you're not Vladimir Nabokov.
>>
Even if you, the author, has lost faith in it, that doesn't mean it won't mean something to someone - for example someone in the same condition you were in when you started the novel.

3 years is also an incredibly long time. How many words is it?
>>
I don't know about you but learning and maturing is what I'm doing before I write another novel I don't believe in. If you don't like the ideas in yours, maybe you should spend some time developing yourself before you dive into more years of writing something that you'll outgrow. Read some more?
>>
What are you going to gain by finishing it? You'll have a FINISHED shitty novel that nobody, including you, cares about.

Fuck it, go work on something else. Maybe you'll think of some ideas to fix it some other time, or not and it'll just stay dead.

Whatever, kind of how it goes with writing, they're not all winners.

I think I read stephen king has about 50 manuscripts for books laying around the he finished and eventually decided they suck.
>>
How the fuck did you write for 3 years without a second of self-reflection and cool, critical look at what should've been a raw draft you'd have written in 2-3 months?
>>
>>9359905
the fact that he's asking lit shows you he's obviously not a very good writer.
>>
How many pages have you written? Why is it impossible to incorporate other ideas into it? Why can't it take a sharp turn somewhere?
>>
>>9359933
>How many pages have you written?
it's more accurate to ask for word count. page count tells you nothing.
>>
You have invested too much psychological currency in this project to safely give it up. It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation - you're already going to regret spending so much time on it. But finishing it is important for closure, you won't be able to completely move on from it if it isn't complete. Also, finishing will allow you to enter your next novel with the confidence of one who has done it before. Even if you know on some level that you could have finished, other parts of you will retain doubt. You don't want to leave that kind of lingering anxiety around to develop into a pathology. Finish it, think about how much you learned in doing so, and move on.
>>
>>9358796
when the tl;dr is as long as the rest of the post
>>
>>9360074
kek
>>
>>9358796
The reason it's important to finish is because writing only gets good when it's rewritten. You realize your book is shot because you've spent so long on a 1st draft. Finish it as fast as you can then put it away, write some other shit, then go back and see if there's anything there worth re-working.

Also write 1000 words a day everyday and stop being lazy
>>
>>9358796
Set your mind in the things you can do. On the things that matter.

Why are you writing this book? Because it matters to you! If it doesn't have an ounce of importance to you and you're just writing it for the sake of completing a book then, my friend, you're doing something wrong.

Think, would you believe that Vladimir Nabokov write Lolita if his message doesn't mean anything to him?
>>
And in case you're turning into a Tumblr fag, let me tell you something.

You don't matter. Your book does.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.