[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some unique SciFi/fantasy that doesn't humanize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: PHOTO.png (655KB, 804x604px) Image search: [Google]
PHOTO.png
655KB, 804x604px
What are some unique SciFi/fantasy that doesn't humanize everything (humanoid feautres, humanoid emotions, human desire and morality) and completely ignore the convention of human culture and stigma in its worldbuilding?

I feel like all SF/F that tries to be as authentic as possible often have this hurdle to overcome and to me makes it unbearable to read. Its like a tourist hearing new words and places to visit and wow, everyone speaks English too.

(Also is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy a must read for SF/F authors?)
>>
>>9354156
You mean alien life forms?
>>
>>9354161
Yeah life forms and cultures that we have not had had influence over or share humanistic tendencies.

For example, ORCs in LOTR also have desires, have humanoid features, have similar weaponry as men and elves. Nonetheless, they are still based on Men.
>>
>>9354183
Stanislaw Lem is famous for his stories about alien life forms that are nothing like humans. Fiasco, Eden, and Solaris off the top of my head.
I think that in every story you will find humanoid features in other races or life-forms, as they are used as a foil or a mirror to the human race. It is in the interest of the story to let them have certain human features
>>
>>9354156
Yeah well we construct ideas from existing ideas so..
>>
>>9354156
>SciFi/fantasy that doesn't humanize everything (humanoid feautres, humanoid emotions, human desire and morality) and completely ignore the convention of human culture and stigma in its worldbuilding
Sounds like Lovecraft boyyo
I guess Solaris too, in that the alien life is completely inhuman and incompatible with us
>>
bamp for interest
>>
bampu for interest
>>
Rendezvous with Rama is a solid hard SciFi in that vein. The central focus is still on humans, but the whole point is how they interact with an object so advanced as to be incomprehensible to them.
>>
>>9358130
Good one

>>9354156
The Starholmers in "Fountains of Paradise" are good for this, as are the aliens in "The Gods Themselves". Clarke and Asimov, respectively.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.