[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone learned or developed any strategies for rapid vocabulary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

Has anyone learned or developed any strategies for rapid vocabulary acquisition?

I assume the problem must have been studied and strategies surely exist, but I have not been able to find anything useful. All I have found are resources oriented towards English learners (who by definition possess a small vocabulary) and Scrabble learners (which are heavily slanted towards words with z's and q's and so forth which score highly in the game).
>>
Typically by speaking to other humans and using words.
>>
File: a318fa035b7f3ebd3ba9eb88d9cbb66f.jpg (230KB, 2068x2514px) Image search: [Google]
a318fa035b7f3ebd3ba9eb88d9cbb66f.jpg
230KB, 2068x2514px
>>9353874
Ok well fuck you.
>>
>>9353870
I can't speak to any prevailing strategies besides the standard "read a lot", but I can offer up a loose regimen that was used by a writing group/collective that I was part of back in college.

We used 750words, which is an online journal tool that had some helpful metrics built into the user interface. As the name would imply, you are obliged to write at least 750 words each day. Every week, we would each identify the five most common words (excluding common particles, [in]definite articles, etc.) that we had written and use whatever study methods we wanted (typically flashcards) to replace those words in our vocabulary with three synonyms. If those words later reappeared on our weekly list, we would have to learn another three new synonyms. I found it to be very effective.

tl;dr if you want to expand your vocabulary, don't just read; you have to write, and then pay attention to the words you're using when you do it.
>>
>>9353921

I was being a dick in my first post, but you don't need to be autisic about it. Using new words conversationally is key.
>>
>>9353870

For every psychological gimmick out there, I've found nothing to superior to the old-fashioned Big List O' Words, reviewed twice daily, once in the morning and once at night.

When starting with a language you want to power through at least 3000 words or so. From there you make marks in your dictionary when you look something up. Memorize anything you look up more than twice in your career. In a few years you'll know a lot of words.

Flash cards take more time to make than their worth.
>>
>>9353870

By listening to death metal:

Excised and anatomised, deviscerated disarray
The torso diverged with pride
Deftly amputated, evulsed limbs now defunct
The trunk imbrued, tatty stumps used as lugs
For a chondrin puzzle so quaint
Head and body decollate
A heaving mass so quiescent...

Scattered and scrambled, your teasement grows
- A bloody caricature to make whole
A squirming grisly jigsaw, detrital fragments fit so snug
- That missing piece will leave you stumped
Totally desassembled, nicely sliced and diced
- A cold mannequin once resembled
Real cranium teaser, carved from flesh and bone
- So mystifying...

Battered and diffused, with placating blows
- A human jigsaw to make whole
A sequacious pattern which once fitted so snug
- Joining together each dubious lump
Ravaged disassembly, neatly cubed and diced
- A cold mannequin reassembled
Astute brain teaser, incorporate flesh and bone
So mortifying...

An incessant game - methodically made
With each cumulative piecing - of commensated meat...

Bi-manual reconstruction, eldritch problem complete
A convented effigy
A pathological toy, each chunk rigorously
Inter mortis locking, as you pathogenically rot
Such a perplexing task
To fit the remains in the casket
Uliginous mess so quiescent...

An incessant game - methodically made
With each cumulative piece - of commensated meat...
>>
>>9353870
Read old English poetry out loud. Then use the words you learn (may have to look up their meanings too) in actual conversations you have afterwards. You can also just try to use 1 new word a day.
>>
>>9353870
Memrise is pretty good
>>
>>9353870
After you learn a word, try to use it fairly quickly a handful of times in conversation (obvs with people who will know the word, don't just try to show off.)

That usually sets me up. Also read a lot of things which use sophisticated vocabulary.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.