[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What book are you most proud of reading? I read mostly long,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: sa.jpg (39KB, 640x227px) Image search: [Google]
sa.jpg
39KB, 640x227px
What book are you most proud of reading?

I read mostly long, dense novels - the kind a lot of people give up on. I feel like I grew a lot as a person after reading each one

The following ones I feel were personal accomplishments - completed goals...

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace - This was the first book that I took as a personal challenge, and it remains perhaps my favorite novel of all time. It's not as difficult as some of the others I've read, but I felt like I was thrown into the fire at first, as I hadn't read anything like it before. It teaches you how to read it, though, so I will always appreciated it for how it helped me improve as a reader.

Gravity's Rainbow/Mason & Dixon/Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon - all of these are difficult reads, but insanely rewarding. All three hold spots in my personal top 10. Thomas Pynchon is, in my opinion, the greatest living American author. I will be rereading each of these for the rest of my life. Unbelievably good.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson - More long than difficult. Took me about 8 months to finish it. I felt both accomplished and sad when I finally put this one down. My favorite fantasy series of all time, and it's not even close.

The Dying Grass/Fathers and Crows/Europe Central by William T. Vollmann - Again, difficult but very rewarding. The Royal Family took a long time to read as well, but it wasn't as dense as these. The best historical writer of all time. More nonfiction than fiction, but he does take his liberties. I highly recommend Vollmann if you like the others authors I have mentioned.

The Recognitions by William Gaddis - Okay, this book kicked my ass at first, but by the end it wasn't so bad. Exceedingly gorgeous prose and well-drawn characters. One of the greatest novels I have ever read and another that I felt "trained" me to be a better reader.
>>
Ulysses though I never really did read Oxen of the Sun to be desu
>>
>proud of consuming something
I ate a whole Christmas turkey once - the kind a lot of people give up on after 2 pieces. Feel like i grew a lot as a person (in girth mostly).
>>
On war - Clausewitz
>>
>>9353695
>proud of consuming something
I dated a real bitch for a year once--the kind a lot of people give up on after two dates. I feel like I grew a lot as a person (towards killing myself, mostly).
>>
I've read Don Quijote and The Hobbit/LotR in their original. I've also read three Aristotle's

I'm proud
>>
>>9353649
I've been deciding between The Dying Grass, Rainbow Stories or Europe Central as my first Vollmann.

You have any recommendations based on your reading?
>>
I'm not sure I'm really proud of reading anything, but I'm proud of all the notes I took of the Iliad the last time I read it.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.