[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is art important? Is it not important at all, and people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Why is art important? Is it not important at all, and people are just saying so because they've heard this repeated a million times before by smarter people than them and don't want to look stupid, but in reality don't really know why it would be important? Please don't refer to vague generalities like "it gives me a life that is truly examined" or "it helps me touch the sublime" or "it is the most beautiful source of meaning" and try to give a real understanding, not one that you are just regurgitating from others. If you are going to say shit like "sublime" then explain what you mean by sublime and why it matters.
>>
>>9352133
This is really something that way too few people do.
>>
>>9352133
>he doesn't know the sublime
>>
>>9352133
>Is it not important at all, and people are just saying so because they've heard this repeated a million times before by smarter people than them and don't want to look stupid, but in reality don't really know why it would be important?
This seems like a pretty convoluted trick that "smart" people would have to be playing for literal millennia

Fucking neolithic people made art, man, stop being a paranoid idiot.

Also I think art is valuable for lots of reasons, not least of which is striving towards sublimity. "Sublime" has a real meaning, if you don't know what it means you can look it up. Not sure why it's confusing to you or what you mean what you say when you ask what it means.
>>
The old philosophy of western art was to create a thing of beauty.
Modern art is about the process, or concept, the abstract, the performance.

The art industry for the most part is a money laundering scheme.

A good work of art is transfomative, can make you feel emotions, you know, emotions, the things humans sometimes have.
Art is a self expression of humanity.

Have you thought about the history of art, the modern concept of art is only like 200 years old.
Why did people make art before then, out of faith, to impress others, boredom.
Not for commercial purposes.

The cavemen werent drawing on cave walls to make a buck.

A lot of art was actually commissioned by rich people, royals.
>>
>>9352133
>Community
>Entertainment
>Critical Thinking
>Education
>Ethics
>Compare and contrast your views on an artwork to another.
>>
>>9352147
>This seems like a pretty convoluted trick that "smart" people would have to be playing for literal millennia
that was a question to get you to question your assumptions, stop being a paranoid idiot. I don't truly believe that.

>Also I think art is valuable for lots of reasons, not least of which is striving towards sublimity
Such as?

>"Sublime" has a real meaning
Yes, it has a dictionary definition, but you should open your mind a bit. Artists and crew often use "sublime" to have its own special connotations, something like a religious experience. I know it's stupid to ask for a scientific breakdown of the sublime, but I wish that people thought deeper on what it meant to them, how it affected their life, etc.

>>9352143
I love art, and have found something like the sublime in art and in the creation of my own. I hate how /lit/ has to constantly project onto other people instead of creating discussion. I created this thread so that we can discuss why art is important to us, not so that you can make up shit about me. You don't know anything about me or about my relationship to art.
>>
>>9352160
>I created this thread so that we can discuss why art is important to us

as an artist i think you are a giant faggot.

im not interested in doing your homework for you
>>
>>9352160
> I hate how /lit/ has to constantly project onto other people instead of creating discussion. I created this thread so that we can discuss why art is important to us, not so that you can make up shit about me. You don't know anything about me or about my relationship to art.

Write your own opinions so I can disagree with it.
>>
>>9352133
Do you get anything out of art, OP?

Art allows people to reflect on their lives. When someone interacts with a (good) work of art, their perspective is momentarily shifted. This shift can make it easier to see the course of one's own life (or even the 'life' of a whole society) more clearly, or it allows microscopic focus on just one aspect of existence, or the separation of normally intertwined aspects. It's a mirror; it's a lens; it's a prism.
>>
>>9352133
Art is a good way to convey ideas (a picture is worth 1000 words). Our speech is very limited; words cannot create meaning beyond their definitions. Art is able to capture the essence of abstract ideas that would be difficult to express otherwise, like emotions or cultural Zeitgeist. It's not like art is some divine medium that beats out literature any time, but it's an important alternative.
>>
>>9352178
then why reply you faggot
>>
>>9352186
>It's not like art is some divine medium that beats out literature
yikes
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.