[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /philosophy major/ here? I'm taking it to get a degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: CYdjTkHUEAALN-t.jpg (49KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CYdjTkHUEAALN-t.jpg
49KB, 600x600px
Who /philosophy major/ here? I'm taking it to get a degree for law school but I'm not sure if I'm finding a ton of value I couldn't get by just reading
>>
There is no value. Philosophy education is just historiography. If you want to actually develop your analytical skills and abstract thought capabilities you should switch to math.
>>
>>9351037
I don't know why people think a piece of paper is going to magically bestow value on them...
>mfw [marxism intensifies]
The value is what you put into it. University is a vehicle and you'll learn a shit tonne you couldn't have learned on your own as long as you care. And philosophy is the right course for law. Double majoring in English is also a good idea.
>>
>>9351037
I'm a philosophy major but thankfully not in the US where university costs millions and you are unhirable with a humanities degree.

Thinking reading on your own is the same as studying at a uni is so retarded. I see this meme a lot on this website. Writing essays is not something autodidacts do and is something that truly develops philosophy skills.

Anyway, the fact that you already asked this shows you're a retard. So no, don't study philosophy, you will just taint our names.
>>
>>9351037
>no value to philosophy
>switch to math
I'm sure you believe that, too.
>>
>>9351161
That way you can work at the math factory after the philosophy factory gets outsourced
>>
File: whiteshelf.jpg (578KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
whiteshelf.jpg
578KB, 1000x1000px
>>9351056
>switch to math
>switch to the thing aspies that have no abstract capabilities take

No, you should take a single Discrete Mathematics course at the most to understand logic notation and that's it... Psychology is a better bet if you want to analyze the way people behave/ought to behave for the purposes of law.
>>
I'm pretty sure I'm too much of a brainlet to do math.
>>
>>9352181
>Psychology is a better bet if you want to analyze the way people behave/ought to behave for the purposes of law.
This.
>>
>>9352181
Not only psychology, but government/poli sci, economics or even history will serve you better for law school than philosophy. At least that's true in the US, may be different in a civil law system. None of the philosophy majors who I knew in law school did particularly well, it's just a different mode of thinking.
>>
File: 3-1-Executioner-with-axe.jpg (22KB, 200x282px) Image search: [Google]
3-1-Executioner-with-axe.jpg
22KB, 200x282px
>>9351056
tfw math philosophy double major
>>
>>9351056
>historiography
Entirely false.
Analysis and abstraction are not desirable nor does mathematics train these
>>
>>9352181
>ought
Fuck off with your normative ethics
>>
>>9351037
>I'm not sure if I'm finding a ton of value I couldn't get by just reading
You either go to a factory school or are incredibly stupid.
>>
>>9352191
As someone who did math, this is probably true.
>>
>>9352340
How hard is it anon?
>>
>>9352181
>No, you should take a single Discrete
>the thing aspies that have no abstract capabilities take
Mathematics course at the most to understand logic notation and that's it
do brainlets really believe this?
philosophy and math complement each other extremely well
>>
>>9352449
only bad philosophy does, because mathematics is bad
>>
>>9351037
I got accepted last year but it didnt work out and i couldnt go, but ive been faring pretty good reading on my own
>>
File: 1490848925796.jpg (47KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
1490848925796.jpg
47KB, 645x968px
>>9352449
Mathematics only works within the boundaries of a small box of axioms... The boundaries of philosophy are so much wider within the walls of nihilism.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.