[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never read any Joyce, should I start with Dubliners or Portrait

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: James-Joyce-book-of-the-w-007.jpg (25KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
James-Joyce-book-of-the-w-007.jpg
25KB, 460x276px
Never read any Joyce, should I start with Dubliners or Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man?
>>
>>9348429
Dubliners, then Portrait of the Artist.
Though I didn't like Dubliners much at all (yes, pleb, yes, and so on), so if you're not super into it, just read the Dead - if only for conversation. Portrait is fantastic cover to cover though, and most would say a prerequisite for Ulysses.
>>
File: 2070340042_ae2a0d1ce5_z.jpg (120KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
2070340042_ae2a0d1ce5_z.jpg
120KB, 500x375px
Start with Portrait, so that you know whose goddamn arm Stephen has in mind

Then give Ulysses a first try

Read Dubliners if you're curious of Joyce's early prose, but it's not a must
>>
>read eight stories into Dubliners
>read analysis of A Little Cloud
>realize I'm a brainlet
holy shit lads how do I understand all the shit in these short stories?
>>
>>9348439
who did the art in your picture?
>>
>>9348429
Doesn't matter, just make sure you eventually read both. They are both really short.
>>
I read them in the order they were written/published: Dubliners/Portrait/U/FW. Then I read Stephen Hero and Exiles, since they are the most substantial of his secondary works. After that, it doesn't really matter what order you read the rest of the miscellany in.
>>
>>9348440
Had a course on Dubliners. Realized /lit/ are all brainlets.
>>
>>9348440
You don't. Joyce was the greatest writer of all time, anon, and any interpretation is probably lacking. Just have fun with it.
>>
>>9348429
I started with A Portrait and didn't like it until after I'd read Dubliners, so I'd start with the latter.
>>
>>9348440
Which analysis? I'm curious
>>
>>9349414
This one:
https://jsse.revues.org/577

Keep in mind I'm a brainlet.
>>
>>9348429
I hate that all I can think about when I see or hear about him is that he's a fart fetishist. Being a perv is fine, going down on pussy is fine, but talking about 'little farties'? I just want to see him as a great Irish writer, but it's largely overshadowed by my view of him as a dude who likes to sniff women's farts...
>>
>>9348440
>holy shit lads how do I understand all the shit
iktf
>>
>>9349601
citation needed
>>
Dubliners is the best book for readers in their teens/early 20's - there are 8 pages stories that are the equal of most shit ever written - so you can really easily digest and deconstruct some amazing stuff without feeling like youre being tortured
>>
>>9350246
It's all I hear about on /lit/. Supposedly it's from private letters that have become public since his death. I don't have a solid 100% sure thing, but it's how I've come to see him, sadly enough.
>>
>>9350449
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/504662-my-sweet-little-whorish-nora-i-did-as-you-told
>>
>>9350246
Read Letters to Nora
>>
>>9350598
8/10
Start w the last one tho. Why remain untraumatized for a single unnecessary moment.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.