[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain why this play is so highly regarded. /lit/ seems to think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 17716.jpg (26KB, 300x467px) Image search: [Google]
17716.jpg
26KB, 300x467px
Explain why this play is so highly regarded. /lit/ seems to think that because the play is so simplistic and allows for various interpretations, that's enough to make it a genuinely good work. That's not the case unfortunately. Waiting for Godot has direction, without a doubt, but it lacks purpose. Literature and plays that leave the story open for your personal interpretation are lazy, only considered masterpieces due to the audiences ability to insert their own narrative.
>>
What a stupid thread.
>>
>Waiting for Godot has direction, without a doubt, but it lacks purpose
>it lacks purpose
Must be bait
>>
>>9347791
You're more than welcome to tell me otherwise. It doesn't lack purpose because they're literally waiting if that's how you're misinterpreting the post.
>>
>>9347772
Wow, really makes you think!

Makes me think?

Yes of course, makes you think!

Well nobody makes me think but me.

No! No! You know it makes you think!

I don't know, how can it make you think?

Well it just does. You hear it and you think you just do.

Well maybe you do but I don't.

Yes you do.

Do what?

Think!

Well yes I think about a lot of things.

And you'd say sometimes something makes you think?

I suppose so, yes.

Something like, this?

This what?

This here, this thread.

What about it?

It makes you think!

Well only I can make myself think.

(They tip bowler hats)
>>
>>9347878
This shit reads like an unfunny Statler and Waldorf with no punchline.
>>
>>9347882
like Godot?
>>
File: wat2.png (376KB, 900x702px) Image search: [Google]
wat2.png
376KB, 900x702px
>>9347772
>Literature and plays that leave the story open for your personal interpretation are lazy

Notepads out everyone, autismo here's going to tell us the one true way to interpret the Wake
>>
>>9347772
You seem to have made a point without actually supporting it whatsoever

>/lit/ seems to think that because the play is so simplistic and allows for various interpretations, that's enough to make it a genuinely good work. That's not the case unfortunately.

Why not?

>Literature and plays that leave the story open for your personal interpretation are lazy, only considered masterpieces due to the audiences ability to insert their own narrative.

I think I see what is going on here, maybe you think that literature is a collection of works with "objective" merit? When in reality it is just the consolidation of works which have gained the favor (or disfavor) of certain academic spheres and by extension the favor of people who want to enter those spheres. So the value of a work is its value to the people of its age and future ages, which is why Godot was such a success. It is a clever and often humorous depiction of the postwar western world's relationship to truth and their position in the absence of god. With the residue of aesthetics still clinging to western thought, people turned to art to find the truth they needed to give their life value, they were searching for a reason to go on, and Waiting for Godot, along with much of Beckett's work, affirmed that truth was always out of reach (or maybe not there at all) and that they would go on anyway. People wanted to be told, "you must go on" Beckett told them "you will go on".

Much of what Waiting for Godot accomplished is lost on our epoch, now it is simply a vestige which we read because people have read it, but there is as much value in that as in anything else. If you didn't find purpose in the book it is because you did not seek it out, you chose instead to call it meaningless on a Sichuanese stamp collecting board, which is totally in your power to do, but what is the point anon? Don't you like literature? Don't you want to enjoy it?
>>
>>9347954
Much like how Waiting for Godot leaves the story up for your interpretation, the OP post is leaving his shitpost up to your interpretation.
>>
>>9347967
It's a good thing I post purely for my own satisfaction, if I actually wanted to communicate something I would have stopped coming here a long time ago
>>
Using Waiting for Godot as an example of poor literature is a terrible idea on a board that sucks the dick of "literary classics"
>>
>>9347772
it's the only successful subversion of the hero's journey
>>
>>9348146
Do you just not read or something?
>>
>>9348150
find me one other subversion of the hero's journey on the level of Godot
>>
>>9347878
Kek, nice.
>>
>>9347878
9.9/10
>>
>>9348192
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, in that Prufrock doesn't even leave the room
Lolita, in that the hero (Humpbert Humpbert) turns his narrative into a hero's journey in an attempt to persuade the reader to be on his side. It's only a hero's journey insofar as the power the cliche exerts on you.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.