[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone read City of God by Augustine? Is it a good exposition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 25673.jpg (39KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
25673.jpg
39KB, 300x400px
Has anyone read City of God by Augustine? Is it a good exposition on the theology/doctrines of Christianity? I've heard a lot of good things about it.
>>
>>9347768
I've read city of god by paulo lins. Shit was gangster as fuck.
>>
>>9347771
Thanks... I guess I'll keep that in mind?
>>
>>9347768
>Is it a good exposition on the theology/doctrines of Christianity?

I can't say I've read it, but I've read Confessions, and was raised and Catholic and have pretty good understanding of Catholic Doctrines.

You have to remember, Catholic Dogma was created, influenced, and added onto over a period of two millennium (Don't tell the pagans but that's a long ass time for a single institution to exist)

I'd suggest reading it because why the fuck not, and you probably will learn many things. But with regards to Catholic Doctrine and Theology overall, you're better off studying Catholicism as a whole. Its not like you're gonna get Aquinas, the Council of Trent, and all the other things that influenced the Church out of reading it.
>>
>>9347863
I'm a protestant (for now) but I plan on reading the works of Augustine, Aquinas, and probably some of Calvin's work. I've already finished The Bible, Confessions, and some modern apologetic material. Reading C.S. Lewis made me realize that I need to start with the heavy hitters rather than easily digestible bits and pieces of Christianity. Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>9347890
If you really wanna delve into Christianity I highly recommend as a resource Newadvent.

The site literally has hundreds of pages pack full of everything. Almost every single Council is on there, the Summa, almost every work by the Church Fathers, and tons of other in depth articles regarding anything Christian.

Of course its a Catholic Site so for everything not Catholic it'll explain it to you, and then tell you why its heresy and condemn it. But overall a really good site.
>>
>>9347926
That sounds amazing. I'll definitely check it out. And I have no problem with the Catholic bias of the site. If I'm wrong about my beliefs then I'll be glad to have them tell me exactly why. I have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Thanks again!
>>
No, I watched the movie tho. Way better than the book. Ze Pequeno was one badass nigga.
>>
>Hey pagans, if your Gods are real, why didn't they stop your temples from getting sacked?

Heathens absolutely DESTROYED
>>
File: zap cannon.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
zap cannon.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
>>9348279
At least you didn't call me Lil' Dice, or I'd have to kill you tbqfuckingh.
>>
>>9347768
I've read both City and Confessions but whether or not the former is 'a good exposition' of Orthodox doctrine or not is beyond my competence to say. I can say, however, that the book sustains interest, is more readable than I thought it would be, and, for my money, even better than the Confessions. FWIW--
>>
>>9347926
New Advent is kind of insane, actually. I think they have an article for every major philosopher.
>>
File: lit starter kit.png (759KB, 959x550px) Image search: [Google]
lit starter kit.png
759KB, 959x550px
>>9347768
CoG is /lit/ approved
>>
>>9348284
if you only worship the gods for temporal benefits, this is a summary btfoing

we worship our God because he offers us eternal felicity.
>>
>>9348415
Thanks. I just read Confessions and am now moving on to City of God. I've heard that's the typical order people go in. I'm pretty excited tbqh.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.