[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The story goes like this: Earth is captured by a technocapital

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: ronald-mcdonald.jpg (26KB, 464x273px) Image search: [Google]
ronald-mcdonald.jpg
26KB, 464x273px
>The story goes like this: Earth is captured by a technocapital singularity as renaissance rationalitization and oceanic navigation lock into commoditization take-off. Logistically accelerating techno-economic interactivity crumbles social order in auto-sophisticating machine runaway. As markets learn to manufacture intelligence, politics modernizes, upgrades paranoia, and tries to get a grip.

>The body count climbs through a series of globewars. Emergent Planetary Commercium trashes the Holy Roman Empire, the Napoleonic Continental System, the Second and Third Reich, and the Soviet International, cranking-up world disorder through compressing phases. Deregulation and the state arms-race each other into cyberspace.

>By the time soft-engineering slithers out of its box into yours, human security is lurching into crisis. Cloning, lateral genodata transfer, transversal replication, and cyberotics, flood in amongst a relapse onto bacterial sex.

>Neo-China arrives from the future.

>Hypersynthetic drugs click into digital voodoo.

>Retro-disease.

>Nanospasm.
>>
What's the difference between techno-economic and techonomic?
>>
not sure if you are being sincere about some concept for a novel but these just read as highly verbose and intellectually shallow descriptions of what is the state of today and where we're heading
>>
>>9345595
What's the difference between a World War and a globewar?
>>
Is this Nick Land?
>>
>>9345620
Globewar sounds cooler. Mashing two words together without modifying either of them is very cyberpunk.
>>
>>9345911

You missed an opportunity to use the term "mashwords."
>>
File: 1462076618808.png (619KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
1462076618808.png
619KB, 620x620px
>>9345689
Yep.
>>
>>9347456

Who thought these dorky cards would be a good idea?
>>
something about attributing agency to these large, non-human entities really fascinates me. other than Land and Negarestani in Cyclonopedia, who else does this?
>>
File: NEUROMANCERcover.jpg (185KB, 753x598px) Image search: [Google]
NEUROMANCERcover.jpg
185KB, 753x598px
>>9347468
Some NRx guys, I think. Perhaps some more classic cyberpunk art is in order.

Personally I don't think NL is a meme. He really could be called the proto-philosopher of cyberpunk, which is legit interesting. True, he also performed one of the most intense LARP sessions of cyberpunk/SF ever, mixed in with Lovecraft and Deleuze and so on, together with a lot of drugs, which is what produced that essay - and it's much more readable than the others.

You'd think this would be sexy and cool and awesome but apparently not so much. You can read more here if you want.

http://divus.cc/london/en/article/nick-land-ein-experiment-im-inhumanismus

t. guy who thinks about Nick Land a lot
>>
>>9347490

Graham Harman
Jane Bennett
Giulio Tononi
David Chalmers
Manuel DeLanda
>>
>>9347490
Land and Negarestani are both fascinating guys to read. Eugene Thacker and Ben Woodard also write super-depressing stuff if you're into that. There's lots of other dark stuff too, Brassier, Meillassoux, and so on. Graham Harman is kind of cheerful and he's still a Heideggerian...anyways.

Urbanomic always has fun things to destroy your mind with.
>>
>>9347514
>>9347523
thanks, friends. any particular works by these authors you'd recommend?
>>
>>9347514

>Giulio Tononi

This guy seems out of place on this list from his wiki page, what's up with him? Not a philosopher?
>>
>>9347546

>This guy seems out of place on his wiki page, what's up with him?

He is the main theorist for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_information_theory

Quantum physicist Scott Aaronson has argued against IIT by reductio, concluding that IIT implies that objects like rocks are conscious, which seems an absurd conclusion. Tononi has replied by embracing the absurdity, thus making him a kind of panpsychist.

>>9347541

Harman's Prince of Networks: Bruno Latour and Metaphysics.
Bennett's Vibrant Matter: A Political Ecology of Things.
Tononi and Edelman's A Universe of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination.
Chalmer's The Conscious Mind.
DeLanda's A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History.
>>
>>9347541
Well, Thacker has three books called The Horror of Philosophy. I sort of glanced through them last year, I found them slightly overdone IIRC. But w/evs.

Woodard's 'On an Ungrounded Earth' was better. These guys seem to be in a kind of a race to the atomic level of nihilism, who can be absolutely the most miserable. I love the writing and it is important, don't get me wrong. Geophilosophy and post-Deleuzian stuff and so on are interesting subjects, and all these guys are way smarter than me. Depressing af tho.

Seconding also Manuel DeLanda, although this is from the little I've read of him.

And while it's not philosophy, you'll probably enjoy House of Leaves if you haven't read it already. Think of Borges if for some reason he decided to make a horror movie.
>>
>>9347572
>>9347561
thanks! looks like i have a deep pool to dive into.
>>
>>9345619
it was a summary of the last three bowel movements Charles Stross had.
>>
>>9345608

techo comes from the spanish meaning ceiling and nomic from the greek nomos 'law', ceiling glass, your economic limit, the p-value you produce in the probabilistic function that is this eternal flux of everchanging capital
>>
>>9347490
Burroughs in his Nova Trilogy treats language and drug addiction and a few other 'systems of control' as extraterrestrial viruses. Pretty sure Land cites Burroughs as an influence.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.