[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's with the "start with the greeks" meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 1486981046752.jpg (118KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1486981046752.jpg
118KB, 1024x683px
What's with the "start with the greeks" meme? Is it really necessary to start with them for anyone besides philosophy students?
>>
The Greeks were the first white supremacists, and you're on 4Chan.

You're also the ones listening to them without any critical engagement of your own, so I'm not sure what you expect.
>>
>>9344011
I really like the Greeks and you should to.
>>
No, it's a meme invented by Joycefags who were not able to understand Ulysses because they didn't even know about the Odissey. If you're European and you went to school you don't need to reread the Greeks.
>>
I never started with the Greeks. Anything before 1960 is written by morons that don't know science, hated women, or were racists. Just read the wikipedia page on Greek philosophers and you have all the Family Guy tier references covered. You can do the same and skip reading the literature, plays, historical works and go straight to 20th century and 21st century.
>>
File: 1485066190606.png (87KB, 358x467px) Image search: [Google]
1485066190606.png
87KB, 358x467px
>>9344072
>>
desu the new meme should be "start with the frege"
>>
>>9344018
The Greeks had lots of babies with black Africans and were quite pleased about being considerably darker than the Persians.

The Persians were the whites back then.
>>
>>9344072
DEAD WHITE MEN
>>
File: 1479583366002.jpg (27KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479583366002.jpg
27KB, 800x600px
>>9344072
>>
File: 1471690127496.png (41KB, 680x447px) Image search: [Google]
1471690127496.png
41KB, 680x447px
>>9344401
>>
>>9344011

You start with the Greeks so you can understand the conceptual complexity of of what we perceive to be universal' facts' of life, but are in fact, just an impression of experience or structuralism in logic.

They dipped their toes into the world of the natural sciences, before their ability to observe those properties they mused upon, they used attempts at logic.

This logical attempt is made to understand the natural world from the conceptual (the forms, as Plato would say), and through time, we see a failing, in both our ability to extend into the conceptually beyond,and this finalizes in both contemporary, American, and philosophy of mind = where we fail to understand the natural world through reason alone, because reason is a pragmatic tool in function, and a structural tool in foundation.

In such, you come to understand in a 'mystery school' sort of way, that philosophy is the study of concepts and their 'logical space'.Nothing more, nothing less.

But, this makes philosophy the key to all studies, in the conceptual and the natural, as a nuanced understanding of both the past ideas and the most present -in concepts - is what makes an '-ology'.

To earn a 'Ph.D. is to earn a degree in the philosophy (concepts) of such a field of study.

So, to say, I dont need to know the history of English, geology,astronomy,fluid dynamics, plasma physics, psychology, linguistics, physics, ect. . .to know my field in all those things would be foolish. How to you advance from beyond your position in the 'field of inquiry' without knowing what has been previously inquired and learned?

This then, is the same with the study of concepts in a logical space and structuralism. So then, with logical entailment, it makes sense to touch upon the greeks, and even more sense to start a project form the beginning rather than the end.

But hey, they just makes sense. . .
>>
>>9344011
You don't need to read all of it, unless you're especially interested. A lot of their views are completely outdated, but interesting to look at in order to grasp an understanding of how human thought has evolved, probably more of interest to a historian, than to a philosopher. There are many concepts which are still pretty much in play, that is as foundation of most of our philosophies. Therefore, get what's useful, not everything. Read A New History of Western Philosophy in four volumes by Sir Anthony Kenny. Then read the originals of the philsophers who interest you.
>>
>>9344011
Read whatever you want and try to think for yourself.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.