[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honest question: why does "magical realism" trigger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: Gabriel_Garcia_Marquez.jpg (130KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
Gabriel_Garcia_Marquez.jpg
130KB, 427x640px
Honest question: why does "magical realism" trigger /lit/
I was taught it was a legitimate genre/literary movement
>>
>>9342258

Probably because of its predominately urban fantasy/YA associations
>>
because its fantasy
>>
Is the metamorphosis by kafka magical realism?
>>
>>9342273
ye
>>
>>9342273
Did he died at the end because he was a beetle or was the food no good?
>>
>>9342280
He had an apple lodged in him
>>
>>9342280
he did not die at the end
>>
>>9342283

Infected apple, forbidden fruit, really makes the noodle kanoodle.
>>
>>9342258
I studied magical realism in college (by accident)
Magical realism is either fantasy trying to pass as literature or diversity bullshit, with rare exceptions
Spic writers think it should be taken seriously because supernatural superstitious stuff is considered traditional in Latin and southern America
>>
it's fucking fantasy.
>>
Many people are growing to like it and disliking things growing in popularity as a matter of principle makes certain individuals feel special.
>>
>>9342327
If you studied it you know they don't consider it "magical realism" in Latin and southern America.
>>
/lit/ considers all fiction to be escapist trash (especially fantasy).

Something I partially agree with.
>>
>>9342273
There's nothing magical about it.
>>
>>9342342
That's pretty much what I said
>>
>>9342258
Because "South American people, ree".
>>
Most of it feels like some kind of apology towards spic degeneracy. The only good magical realism I've read is Pedro Paramo tbqh
>>
It'd be dismissed as genre trash if the authors were named Michael Smith instead of something "exotic" like Gabo or if they dealt with European life instead of banana plantations and meanie fascists.

I would unironically put George R.R. Martin ahead of hacks like Isabel Allende
>>
>>9342258
I haven't seen much hate for magical realism outside this thread. And what I'm seeing here looks like typical racism and hate for fantasy.
>>
>>9342592

I've smelled /pol/ around more and more often. I don't know if they're emboldened, restless, or both, but they've gotten more vocal.
>>
>>9342597
Being merged with /mlp/ for April Fool's triggered their 'tism
>>
Because /pol/'s been more active on the rest of the site lately and/or the autists from every board are just now starting to visit /pol/ en masse because of the meme presidential election in the US and bringing that shit back with them to their home boards.

Marquez was unironically probably the greatest living novelist at the time of his death.
>>
>>9342258
Maybe not all of it. Are Calvino & Borges considered magic realism? Both are well liked on /lit/.

>>9342273
No, absurdist.
>>
>>9343690
>Calvino & Borges

No.
>>
>>9343658
Dumb poltards have pretty much infected this entire website. I don't even know why I still come here.
>>
>>9343703
You and me both, bud. I only ever came here for /lit/ & /tv/ anyway. If you think /lit/ is bad try to spend even an hour or so on /tv/. Imagine being there the night of the Oscars. It's fucking terrible. It's hilarious too because this all really did start with ironic shitposting back in the day, and all the under-18 autists got here without ever realizing the irony and latched onto the shitposting with zeal and sincerity as a route to solidarity and identity. The only reason their shit is tolerated by the mods on all the other boards is because all those ips that show /pol/ as their most frequented board spend enough time on here to generate a lot of ad revenue collectively. All this energy they put into their revolutionary reactionism only for them to shit up every board on the site as glorified penny-mines. It's depressing on every level.

This does go to show, though, that there really, in the final analysis, really was not a difference between shitposting and ironic shitposting. Fuck.
>>
>>9342327
>American education
>>
File: voltaire.png (1009KB, 760x920px) Image search: [Google]
voltaire.png
1009KB, 760x920px
Magical realism is not magical and is not realism
>>
>>9342273
Expressionism
>>
>>9343755
>how does language work

are you implying i don't have a rooster stuck to my groin???
>>
>>9343755
Does he have one brown eye and one green?
>>
>>9343724
something about you reeks of Gen-X self-importance
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.