[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like to read the classics but I'm not sure where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0271.jpg (22KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0271.jpg
22KB, 256x256px
I'd like to read the classics but I'm not sure where to start. Can anyone give me some suggestions on where to start and where to go from there? Some books I've been interested in reading: Moby dick, Iliad and odyssey, mason & Dixon, etc. what are some good places to start when getting into classic literature?
>>
Start with the Greeks, I thought we had already established that ffs
>>
Define ''classic literature''.

>>9341941
Understanding philosophy is one thing. If you're just reading fiction/mythology/poetry then nothing says you can't start with Dostoevsky before Homer.
>>
GREEKS

(especially those nice homo poems about loving young boys)
>>
>>9341930

Just look at the /lit/ starter kit. People complain it's for plebs and it's high school shit, but that's the point. It's supposed to be books that are easy to analyze and interpret. To get into literature as a high art, you need to learn how to read for deeper purposes.
>>
>>9342640
Yeah, start with the MARVEL. That way you can gradually step up as you get comfortable ;)

You can't learn how to swim before hopping in the water.
>>
>>9342646

You are hopping in water. Many of those books are fine reads. Just because they're not 900 page po-mo doorstoppers doesn't make them real literature.
>>
>>9342653
>Great Fartsby
>1948
>Brave New World

*dismissive hotline bling hand gesture*
>>
>>9342659

Okay, then have fun OP when you give up on Moby-Dick because "the plot isn't going anywhere."
>>
>>9341930
Make sure you have a good understanding of the language you're reading the classics in. After that, thoroughly read Greek mythology. That will help you a great deal.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.