[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In the case of Illiad and Odyssey, and the other epic poems,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: oddyssey.jpg (253KB, 600x510px) Image search: [Google]
oddyssey.jpg
253KB, 600x510px
In the case of Illiad and Odyssey, and the other epic poems, is it a better idea to listen to the audiobook.
They were literally made to be listened.
Of course, the best would be to listen to them in ancient greek:
https://youtu.be/MOvVWiDsPWQ?t=51s
But still, isn it a good idea anyway?
>>
>>9338465
that seems like a bad idea. there are no footnotes in audiobooks, Unless you have a strong understanding of bronze age history, you'd be missing a lot of content
>>
>>9338494
So you can just check the footnotes at home, or probably there are audiobooks with footnotes.
>>
>>9338501
I have strong doubts about this
>>
>>9338501
I think you are severely underestimating the amount of footnotes in these pieces
>>
>>9338465
No, it's not a good idea. Yes, the original poems were sung by rhapsodes, but most translations into English are done with a reader in mind, not with an audience of listeners. That's not to say that translations can't be recited, but it's really not the same as if they were in Greek, by any means.

I think Lombardo said that his translation was written so as to be recited or something of the sort.
>>
>how should I experience Homer on my one ever reading of him

Not even a question worth answering. Read him, then read a new translation, maybe listen to the audiobook, maybe one day learn Greek and read the original. Whatever you do, don't just read him once.
>>
>>9338593
>>9338547
>>9338494
OK, thank you guys for your opinions, so probably will have to force myself to read them both when I have enough free time (not a NEET).
>>
Eyeproblemfriend here, I listened to the audiobooks, the Fitzgerald ones specifically, as I have no other choice but audio, and it was great.
As far as footnotes go, I didn't have a problem understanding anything. There might be things I didn't know I missed, but for the most part, google quickly did the trick.
What do the footnotes typically explain?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.