[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so i read this (the english translation) and i still don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (7KB, 309x400px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 309x400px
so i read this (the english translation) and i still don't really get the whole idea of absurdism. is it really as simple as believing that nothing except narcissistic hedonism matters because ultimately everyone dies?

can someone clarify this for me? i want to be as cool as meursault, but if that's actually the foundation of his belief system, it seems awfully childish
>>
bumping for answers
>>
File: pepesis.jpg (56KB, 500x614px) Image search: [Google]
pepesis.jpg
56KB, 500x614px
>>9338165
>>9338227
>self-bumping on /lit/

One must imagine OP as happy.
>>
It makes more sense if you read The Myth of Sisyphus first
For Camus, it basically comes down to the idea that existence itself is absurd and so the action of being and the struggle itself is the only means by which we derive any kind of satisfaction or fulfillment in the absence of logical or reasoned absolutes
>>
>>9338244
>existence itself is absurd and so the action of being and the struggle itself is the only means by which we derive any kind of satisfaction or fulfillment in the absence of logical or reasoned absolutes
unfortunately most of this went over my head desu. i understand what you're saying in a literal sense, but i'm finding it hard to take any meaning from it. thanks for the recommendation though. i'll be sure to check out The Myth of Sisyphus
>>
To be honest it's a very shallow branch of existentialism and Sartre does a better job of elucidating it in light of actual philosophy and not just presenting it in an obscured literary format as Camus does. .
Camus is kind of interesting as an author, but if you're looking for a serious philosophical examination of absurdism you should really move on to Sartre after you've read The Myth of Sisyphus as a starting point.
>>
>>9338260
This was supposed to be aimed here
>>9338250
>>
>>9338260
noted. i really enjoyed the literary approach that camus took, but like you said, i'm sure it isn't as informative as reading straight philosophy. i'll look into sarte. i've heard a lot about him, but never actually read anything from him
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.