[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is writing as a profession dead, /lit/? Are there any actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

Is writing as a profession dead, /lit/? Are there any actually good living contemporary writers? Is it a viable career path, financially?
>>
>>9335966
No to all questions
>>
the writing profession lasted for a short time post-ww2. majority of writers in history were NEETs, tutors to aristocracy, civil servants, etc.
>>
Try and tell us
>>
File: IMG_1053.jpg (106KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1053.jpg
106KB, 331x500px
Pahlaniuk, sort of
>>
In post-irony
Lies beauty, some leagues beneath.
Spicy haiku post
>>
>>9335966
what anime is this from OP?
>>
>>9335966
John green
>>
>>9335966
i'm a professional writer and i make a living out of it
>>
Seventeen beater,
A new form of meme engine.
Please subscribe to it.
Even if it's a shitpost,
It contains kindness.
>>
File: 43252523.jpg (20KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
43252523.jpg
20KB, 180x180px
>>9335966
He is my inspiration. I will search for an interesting philosophy and then construct a creepy action story around it.
>>
Beat up the evil.
I can take you to the woods
And show you god's puss.
>>
>>9335966
There's all kinds of shit you can write for money. Not novels though
>>
You can buy a car;
You can buy many items.
You can't buy a (You)
>>
>>9335966
It was always dead, very few famous writers did not have other people (mostly their families) paying for their expenses.
Also all the side jobs that were available are now mostly gone (unless you consider writing clickbait articles a good writing job).

tl;dr: if you want to be a writer become a sociopath and manipulate people close to you into giving you enough money to live your own life but not enough for them to tell you to fuck off.
>>
>>9336184
>tl;dr: if you want to be a writer become a sociopath and manipulate people close to you into giving you enough money to live your own life but not enough for them to tell you to fuck off.
If I could do that, why on earth would I ever want to be a writer.
>>
>>9336192
What are you, an animal or a man? You would want to be a writer just to do something with your useless, pathetic life. Do you think that Dante wrote the Commedia only because he needed money? Be ambitious, ffs
>>
Live in love and sedge,
And play the stock trade until
You can afford home.
>>
>>9335966
Without actually being a published writer - yet - I would hazard to equate the earnings to that of a small, independent or cult band. Nothing above minimum wage on a mostly part-time basis.

I would suggest writing be the passion with perks whilst you pay your bills elsewhere.
>>
I'm pub on 4chan.
I don't need no splendour.
I know you see me.
>>
File: jorge-luis-borges.jpg (44KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
jorge-luis-borges.jpg
44KB, 800x450px
Only the lucky and the great ever have CAREERS as writers. The lucky are the ones who write something that hits on the cultural zeitgeist, which causes their work to sell like hotcakes. J.K. Rowling is the ur-example of this. The great are those who are truly transcendent, magnificent writers, and while some of them never achieve any fame or note in their lifetimes, a decent amount of them do sooner or later. Borges is a good example of this. It took him 30 years to achieve worldwide fame, but he did get there, and he lived pretty sweetly once he did.
>>
>>9335966
If you want to make a living writing, then get into academia, become a good feminist and self flagellate if you're a white male and write strong female didndu who are still suffering from post slavery 500 years later.
>>
And I'm back again
After getting my boss lunch.
I lack self esteem.
>>
If you're looking at using writing to make money just fucking do something else. It's not worth it from a financial standpoint.
>>
>>9336021
el oh el
>>
I exemplify
The issue at hand, sovreign
Lyrical hubris
>>
Until the trash bin,
I will be this thread's pilot.
We'll all sit up front.
>>
I'm in R9K.
I'm in S4S as well,
At least currently.
>>
Five in a row, senpai.
My fifteen minute glory.
All irrelevant.
>>
>>9336921
Senpai, not senpai, fuck.
Asterisk asterisk man.
Fuck autocorrect.
>>
There has been no good literature produced in the past 300 years. Just give up now
>>
Senpai
>>
Kay, this board is joke.
Cannot address family
Using shorter terms.
>>
>>9335966
>Is it a viable career path, financially?
if you're not well connected your options are self publishing
>technical writings
>erotica/romance
>anything really provided you shill hard enough and pump out enough content
>>
>ctrl+f
>no Sanderson
Sanderson is an author who survives by writing. He even teaches creative writing at university. If you join his class and you're good, he might hook you up with an agent like he did with the powder mage author.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.