[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>What is it about King’s writing that appeals to so man

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: stephen_king-coming-to-boulder.jpg (19KB, 414x403px) Image search: [Google]
stephen_king-coming-to-boulder.jpg
19KB, 414x403px
>What is it about King’s writing that appeals to so many people? Clearly, King’s readers — many of whom seem to get hooked on him when they are adolescents — don’t care that the sentences he writes or the scenes he constructs are dull. There must be something in the narrative arc, or in the nature of King’s characters, that these readers can’t resist. My sense is that King appeals to the aggrieved adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adult, who believes that people can be divided into bad and good (the latter would, of course, include the aggrieved adolescent or adult), a reader who would rather not consider the proposition that we are all, each of us, nice good people awash in problems and entirely capable of evil. King coddles his readers, all nice, good, ordinary, likeable people (just like the heroes of his books), though this doesn’t completely explain why these readers are so tolerant of the bloat in these novels, why they will let King go on for a couple hundred pages about some matter that has no vital connection to the subject of the book.

>My son, George, who is now twenty-four, read a little King in high school, but he hasn’t gone back to him since then. After you’ve read Roberto Bolaño and Denis Johnson and David Foster Wallace and Thomas Pynchon, as my son has, why would you return to Stephen King? King may be an adequate enough escape from life, if that’s all you require from a book of fiction, but his work (or what I’ve read of it) is a far cry from literature, which, at its best, is, sentence by sentence, a revelation about life.

>http://www.salon.com/2012/07/06/my_stephen_king_problem_salpart/

Will King ever recover?
>>
>>9335604
>dull

Comfy
>>
>>9335618
True. Still no merit.
>>
>>9335604
I read this in Harold Bloom's voice.
>>
>>9335618
>After reading the first sixty-five pages of Christine, I thought that if King had intended to write a literary novel, he was failing. The two main characters, Arnie and his good-hearted pal the narrator, were blandly predictable; the minor characters all seemed to be cut from the same generic cloth (one side labeled “Nice Person,” the other labeled “Creep/Meanie”); each high-pitched melodramatic scene resembled the previous high-pitched melodramatic scene in tone and structure; the observations about life in a western Pennsylvania town in the late seventies were unremarkable (as compared to, say, the meticulously observed, lovingly detailed eastern Pennsylvania suburban landscape in Updike’s Rabbit novels); and the prose was consistently dull (the narrator’s attempts at snappy cleverness or humor rarely succeeding). Most surprisingly, the book moved at a slug’s pace. At the very least, I thought, a genre writer as good as King would keep the scenery flying by the window. But he lingered over scenes, drew them out way past where there was anything further to reveal, as if (perhaps: I couldn’t be entirely sure) King believed he was writing something classier than a pulp novel.
>>
>>9335643
>In his long New Yorker article about genre fiction, Arthur Krystal devotes a paragraph to King’s entry into the lit world (after “having mastered the horror genre”) and manages to make Harold Bloom’s denunciation of the National Book Foundation’s 2003 award to King look ill-tempered, cranky, and elitist. “In short, Bloom was annoyed that King had become a dude of literature.” Krystal seems to regard King as a good enough “guilty pleasure,” though he cites nothing specific about King’s writing (other than the fact that a literary magazine and The New Yorker have given him space) that might persuade a reader that the praise of his work by the literary establishment is in any way justified.
>>
King isn't dull. He has pretty vivid prose. Sometimes too vivid, when he's describing something gross.
>>
>>9335604

>and I was, from an even earlier age, more interested in dog stories
>refuses to watch Alfred Hitchcock

real cultured person writing this article
>>
I have no doubt some of King is garbage. I've avoided his linger stories for me most part. I would with any author in truth.

His stories are superbly interesting. He clearly has a very creative mind. Every story distinctly different to the last. On top of that he writes immediately likeable characters in locations that feel as though they easily can be home.

Why read if it isn't enjoyable? I don't know why its hard to see why King is liked. I've not read Christine as a specific example. I likely never will as the subject doesn't interest me, but you should get no more or less than you expect from any given story.
>>
>>9336047
You always know there's a full blown retard in the room when they use the word 'story' about novels. King does this himself; it's like he's fully aware every single aspect of his writing is such pap he cleaves to this infantile notion of a 'good story, well told'.
>>
>why do people like fun?
>>
>>9335604
>Ever Reading Salon

That's where you messed up.
>>
his writing isn't particularly appealing, it's just incredibly quick and easy to read. much like watching shitty old sci-fi flicks from the 80s, it's just fun.
>>
>>9335604

>My sense is that King appeals to the aggrieved adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adolescent, or the aggrieved nerdy adult, who believes that people can be divided into bad and good (the latter would, of course, include the aggrieved adolescent or adult), a reader who would rather not consider the proposition that we are all, each of us, nice good people awash in problems and entirely capable of evil.

Some of King's stuff is like this, but not all. For example, Pet Semetary has no real "good" characters.
>>
>>9335604
>iterature, which, at its best, is, sentence by sentence, a revelation about life.

I don't think I could write such a pretentious load of shit if my life depended on it.
>>
he speaks directly to the reader, in plan language, and tells a story they want to hear. he's tellling ghost stories around the campfire. thats all. its what he does. all we have are our stories. people criticize him, but any author would love to be loved as much as he is, and read as much as he is. i only hope he appreciates it.
>>
>>9335604
I've got news for this pretentious turd, his son only *pretends* to read DFW and Pynchon.
>>
>>9338161
We're trying to cut down on projection here.
>>
>>9338171
As far as I know: Pynchon and DFW didn't write a word in their lives

As far as Lit knows: I am on my 5th rereading of Gravity Rainbows and Infinitely Jest
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.