[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gamedev here. How do I come up with a story that doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: eric.png (23KB, 640x416px) Image search: [Google]
eric.png
23KB, 640x416px
Gamedev here. How do I come up with a story that doesn't suck?

I need something simple but effective. One protagonist (player) vs. many enemies and some reasonable goal.

I'm just wondering how to start thinking about the story structure in the first place. Where to get ideas, and so on.
>>
>>9334929
Read good literature. Okay, you're not going to bother with that.

In which case, read John Gardner's Art of Creative Writing, which is both actually good and deals with plot. Page it from libgen.
>>
well understand that trying to write a game narrative is completely different than trying to write a regular narrative.

Books are on a line, while games are on a grid.
read up on ludo-narratives and basic story arcs and try to reconcile them
>>
>>9334942
Dumb. Games are different, but they're not "on a grid".

He already knows that anyway. Read his post -- he knows what he's writing for.

Btw OP -- personally I'm a fan of the whole doomed-by-fate thing. Works really well in games.
>>
I can think of only 3 games that impressed me with their writing
Fallout 1: a story is simple, yet focused, and allows for non-linear approach, game design is brilliant and funnels the player along the plot while maintaining the illusion of freedom

Planescape Torment: on the strength of characters and setting alone, the gameplay is crappy and I doubt that approach could fly for modern gaymers

Pathologic: another game with brilliant story and crap gameplay. Interesting part of Pathologic is that the game runs in real time (you have to survive in plague-ridden town for 12 days and hopefully cure it) and the story will happen whether the player participates in it or not. The game also maintains the illusion of freedom by giving you complete freedom of action and putting key NPCs in danger
>>
idk read Joseph Campbell and Aristotle's Poetics or something
>>
>>9334929
>reading for plot
>>
>>9334972
I did read his post.
Games (by definition of having gameplay) branch in a way that books don't really. Whether its scripted or not. Understanding and writing for that is important.
>>
>>9334929
Do some online and library searches for "Video Game Narrative Writing"

Like other anons have mentioned, the model of a video game is a lot different than a book, film or even comic book. The player of a video game wants to win, and will take personal setbacks negatively, when similar events in a non-participatory narrative won't be disliked so much.

Challenge, Frustration, Accomplishment and Reward play a big part of the psychology of making a good video game in a way that they do not play when writing a good novel or film.
>>
File: 1489728621499.jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489728621499.jpg
26KB, 640x480px
>>9334929
Make anime instead you stupid gaymer.
Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words. This is ignoring actual words, too.
The greatest anime of all time, Eureka Seven, runs at 50 episodes and about 23fps.
The average length of the OP and ED together is about 3:30 (1:30 + 2:00) minutes. Each episode is about 24 minutes long. I'll say that's 20 minutes because there are other factors.
Each of the four cours has a different OP and ED, and there are two episodes that skip the OP and one that skips the ED.

Unique OP and ED time:
4(3:30) = 840 seconds
= 19,320 frames
= 193,200 words

Episode time:
50(20:00) = 60,000 seconds
2(1:30) + 2:00 = 300 seconds
= 59,700 seconds
= 1,373,100 frames
= 13,731,000 words

Total: 13,924,200 words
THIS IS STILL IGNORING THE AWFUL FILM AND SEQUEL, WHICH WOULD EASILY ADD ANOTHER 7,000,000 WORDS

The longest book is only 2,070,000 words, and I doubt even one word can match to the majesty of images that is E7.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.