[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Slaughterhouse-Five? I just finished

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 4981.jpg (39KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
4981.jpg
39KB, 311x475px
What does /lit/ think of Slaughterhouse-Five? I just finished it, and I think it might be one of my favorites. I think Billy Pilgrim is the best literary character I've ever read about.

Also, what's your interpretation of the Tralfamadorians? Was it real or is it just Billy going insane toward the end of his life? I'm more for the latter.
>>
pleb shit for pleb shits
>>
>>9334410
Oh look everyone a clever person. I bet he goes to university and only reads philosophy. People like you make me sick.
>>
>>9334276
I enjoyed it a fair bit, though I don't really understand why it is considered so "essential" or "magnificent". To be frank I find it next to impossible to comprehend humour in a book so maybe that's where I'm missing out, though I did like the concept of the Tralfamadorians and it did make me feel a bit nostalgic about my uncle, who used to always talk about different planets and how he'd go to Pluto when he dies. Probably the thing I liked most though was Vonnegut's humility when it came to writing a a character, as you say, Billy Pilgrim was just an ordinary person who couldn't pull any fancy tricks or snarky responses but rather made things more difficult for people, and in a manner that I'm sure most could relate to. It was also an interesting twist on war-themed literature in general in regards to time travel.
>>
>>9334276
>I just finished it, and I think it might be one of my favorites
same

I felt that it really captured the darkness of the war that Vonnegut experienced which was brought out by the absurdism and comedy. I don't think I've known of anything which does something like that so well

the closest I can think of is the film In Bruges, but the comedy in that is too zany and the darkness is fairly shallow compared to what Slaughter-House Five is about, so depth on both ends of the spectrum is lost
>>
Im on team Tralfalmadorians are real.
I reccomend Sirens of Titan if you want more Vonnegut.
I dont know which book to reccomend for team Tralfalmadorians are mental illness. Maybe breakfast of champions.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.