[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much literary value did we lose with the multiple sackings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1491008162813.jpg (8KB, 200x253px) Image search: [Google]
1491008162813.jpg
8KB, 200x253px
How much literary value did we lose with the multiple sackings and burnings of great libraries? I heard Sophocles had 90+ plays yet we only have 7 now. And I know of the epic cycle.
How much do you think is lost to time.
>>
>>9331691
lots
>>
>We've lost a lot of Sophocles
To be entirely honest Sophocles is repetitive and formulaic enough I'd be satisfied with Philoktetes and Oedipus Rex.
>>
>>9331699
Shut the fuck up.

>>9331691
As to how much we kept of all of Antiquity's works, estimates range from five (5) to ten (10) percent.
>>
>>9331691
Don't forget Sappho, who had a huge multi-volume critical edition of her poems in Alexandrea but only one of her poems survives intact and the rest are fragments.

Also the Pre-Socratics, Menander, and everything written in the Punic language.
>>
Daily reminder many of the records lost from the Library of Alexandria are mundanities, and more of interest for historians then students of aesthetics.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes_Palimpsest

>This medieval Byzantine manuscript then traveled to Jerusalem, likely sometime after the Crusader sack of Constantinople in 1204.[7] There, in 1229, the original Archimedes codex was unbound, scraped and washed, along with at least six other parchment manuscripts, including one with works of Hypereides. The parchment leaves were folded in half and reused for a Christian liturgical text of 177 pages; the older leaves folded so that each became two leaves of the liturgical book. The palimpsest remained near Jerusalem through at least the 16th century at the isolated Greek Orthodox monastery of Mar Saba. At some point before 1840 the palimpsest was brought back by the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem to their library (the Metochion of the Holy Sepulcher) in Constantinople.

>If it weren't for christiancucks we would be hundreds of years further into technological development.
>>
all those lost texts on Greco-Buddhist thought, all those lost Hermetic manuscripts, all those Neo-platonic and proto-Christian scrolls gone forever. feelsbadman
>>
Not only chance and blind fortune have presided over the preservation of certain manuscripts ; human choice, and especially human taste, also did.
We have most likely kept the best.
>>
>>9332146
Or maybe, there were ancient manuscripts that were so profound, that the elites destroyed them in fear of their power.
>>
>>9332162
I don't think so.
>>
File: IMG_2568.jpg (49KB, 600x568px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2568.jpg
49KB, 600x568px
>Pynchon's entire corpus barring Vineland will be lost in the Great Meme Purge of 2136
>>
>>9331691
qin shi huang founded modern china, fuck books.
>>
>>9332146
Being this bluepilled.

>>9332162
This.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.