[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this still the best book on communication? I'm interested

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_9173.jpg (344KB, 1616x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9173.jpg
344KB, 1616x2560px
Is this still the best book on communication? I'm interested in becoming a better speaker and this seemed like the obvious first step but are there any other worthwhile books on this subject?
>>
>>9331097

It's a fine book, but it's not going to cure your autism.
>>
>>9331106
What will?
>>
>>9331533
suicide
or speech therapy/talking to people not on a south african cuckoldry forum
>>
>>9331533
Watch and rewatch Watamote until you acquire self awareness.
>>
>>9331545
>watamote
let's not drive him to suicide now anon.
>>
File: 51vCv27gxwL._SY346_.jpg (23KB, 228x346px) Image search: [Google]
51vCv27gxwL._SY346_.jpg
23KB, 228x346px
>>9331106
>>
I think of it more as a guidebook on how to be a decent person. If you're having trouble making friends or getting along with people you may not realize it but you most likely have a shitty personality. Throughout highschool I used to be fairly popular but over time I stopped being so outgoing and just lost touch with what it was that helped me get along with everyone that I met. So while reading this book I kept having epiphanies on why I was the way I was and I would remember how in the past I would utilize the advice it was giving me without realizing what I was doing. I used to be a decent person and that's why people liked me. This book served as a reminder.

A lot of it may or may not seem like common sense advice but just keep an open mind and stay willing to learn because chances are you'll find something useful.
>>
>>9331097
>Is this still the best book on communication?
It's really dated but if you're a decently-read bloke, it should help you out.
>>
File: true-penguin.jpg (62KB, 500x743px) Image search: [Google]
true-penguin.jpg
62KB, 500x743px
>>9331097
Literally just join Toastmaster.
>>
>>9331713
Practice really is the only way to get good at public speaking.

Toastmasters can get annoying in that it feels sort of like Scientology - there are a lot of acronyms and it keeps sucking up more and more of your time. Lot cheaper than Scientology or Dale Carnegie courses though.
>>
>>9331914
Toastmaster is a cult.
>>
>>9331097
Miller & Rollnick's Motivational Interviewing is a clinical approach to How to Win Friends. Won't make u a better speaker but will help you talk with a purpose and flip conversations.
>>
>>9331713
Is this a real book?
>>
>>9331097
>reading a book to learn how to communicate with people

Yeah good luck with that.
Communication, once you get past the pleasantries, is about having something to say. Having something to say amounts to being deeply interested in something or many things. Being deeply interested is a matter of 'following your bliss' as Joseph Campbell puts it. Find out what interests you and put the pedal to the metal. If you're trying to manipulate people for business purposes then fair enough, have at it and be a proper bastard, but the idea of reading a book on how to "win" friends is fucking disgusting. Do something you love with your free time and everything else will fall into place.
>>
>>9331097
It teaches you how to be a socially manipulative asshole and make fake business friends that will head for greener pastures the moment you stop feigning interest in them.

There are a few times when it made me look at things from a different perspective, and not all the advice is bad, but take the whole thing with a grain of salt.
>>
>>9332688
This is what i need.
>Tips fedora
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.