[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard would it be to write like Shakespeare? Let us say you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: william-shakespeare-1-1009x1024.jpg (354KB, 1009x1024px) Image search: [Google]
william-shakespeare-1-1009x1024.jpg
354KB, 1009x1024px
How hard would it be to write like Shakespeare?

Let us say you get yourself a plot from another source so you don’t actually need to create the story and the characters, how hard it would be to flesh it up with his poetic texture?

To write a play like Hamlet, Othello, Macbeth and Lear, or Henry IV, or The Tempest and a Midsummer Night Dream: is it that hard?

Why more poets don’t at least try to match Shakespeare?

Can one say that to write with the same poetic gift as the one of Shakespeare is as hard as working (and creating) math?
>>
>>9330925

Copying his language style isn't too difficult. Just read those stupid Star Wars in Shakespeare style books.
>>
>>9330925
Why would you want to? It doesn't make you stand out much unless you can translate it. Besides, he should admired, not immitated. Mastered two artforms, established modern tragedy and comedy, and is the best writer to merge poetry and prose. Bow down.
>>
>>9330925
there are only a select few writers who have ever existed whom compare to him; i honestly don't think anyone living within our current era would be capable of what he did without seeming like a bad imitation of shakespeare.
>>
>>9330925
I truly believe that Shakespeare is "raw writing". You can never glean the insight that he possessed in his time or create a style more perfect than his own. You can still be a great writing, but this man is THE fucking writer. I was discouraged when I first seriously started reading him because he nailed fucking everything. Only Da Vinci, Socrates and Newton can touch his genius.
>>
>>9331199

lol go to bed, harold
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFzl0_Qeb84
>>
>>9331199
Trip dubs speak trutb
>>
>>9330925
Imagine Scarface, for example, in a different language (italian or spanish) that does not have the same verbal influence as English, but not with the language of everyday conversation. Imagine Scarface but with a metaphorical and poetic language, like Macbeth (not the same imagens, of course; original ones, but with the same richness as the ones in shakespearean tragedy): is this that hard to write? What if somedoby today did something like that?
>>
>>9330925
Should be doable if you are almost autistically obsessed with puns and sex jokes.
>>
>>9331724
Lol
>>
>>9331724
oh shit maybe maybe I am a genius after all.
>>
>>9330925
Shakespeare's true genius lies in his ability to portray the full spectrum of human character, imo. I'm sure many could match the force/talent of his style, but I've yet to consume any media whose characters surpass the depth, nuance, and emotional complexity of those found in Shakespeare.
>>
>>9331199
>>9332843
these 2bh
>>
>>9331022
They're hardly the same. Shakespearean English, yes, but not Shakespeare. They don't contain the number of puns or amount of poetry, they just look like "ye olde english" to people who can't tell the difference.
It's hard to imitate any author without it looking like a joke, Shakespeare would be even harder.
>>
>>9331681

I would love it
>>
It would be extremely difficult. His verse is superb, both when he adheres strictly to meter and when he varies it. His depth of characterization and psychological insight is unmatched. In fact, I find it more impressive when he clings closely to a pre-established narrative, especially in the histories, since he's taking something known and casting it in a new and brighter, more intimate light. Additionally, the intersection between his poetry and characterization is incredible. In Julius Caesar, for instance, he writes public characters versed in rhetoric; in both parts of Henry IV, Falstaff/Oldcastle imitates both actual and possible characters without saying so openly; and the pitch of voices based naturally on the sounds used in their dialogue creates unique voices even without acting or vocabulary choices as far as meaning is concerned (this is especially noticeable in Othello).
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.