[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://philosophynow.org/issues/11 9/Derek_Parfit_1942-2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: parfit.jpg (276KB, 1190x1200px) Image search: [Google]
parfit.jpg
276KB, 1190x1200px
https://philosophynow.org/issues/119/Derek_Parfit_1942-2017

RIP IN PEACE

This shit always makes me tear up a bit. Pencil-pushing academics really only have each other, but at least they have that.

Let it be known that if this were not an anonymous imageboard I would eulogize each and every single one of you nerdy losers should you pass before me.

Side note, the population ethics stuff he did is actually fascinating. The Repugnant Conclusion is an interesting problem.
>>
>>9324200

All I want in life is for someone to find my monkish, reclusive ways admirable and to write a brief, heartfelt eulogy for me that no one reads.

The universe, it seems, has not seen it fit to give me even that.
>>
F
>>
>>9324200
>Pencil-pushing academics really only have each other, but at least they have that.
?

No they don't, academic philosophers dedicate a hefty chunk of their research to demolishing each other, Its one of the few ways to rise in the ranks.
>>
>>9324935
no one ever really gets "demolished" in the journals. everyone who gets published has thought the debates through to the point where they all know where and why the others disagree too well not to be courteous. usually
>>
>>9324200
Who's this guy? Give me a primer.
>>
>>9326291
The article in the OP is pretty solid as a primer. It glosses over the population ethics stuff, though, which is a shame because it seems like some of his most interesting and influential stuff.

>>9324935
In my experience, many of even the most bitter academic debates end pleasantly. Elbow/Bartholomae is a perfect example.

Hell, the person you spend half your career trying to take down might be the one to eulogize you. Again, the academics have that, at least.
>>
Met this guy once at an effective altruism event. Pretty incisive and very kind personally.
>>
>>9324200
The one death of the last year or two that made me really sad.
>>
>>9328815
That sounds amazing. Where was the event? Would have loved to meet him.
>>
>>9329817

He gave a talk at the EAGx in Oxford last year, I think on the nonidentity problem, and was around some of the social events there too. He'd been at events before though I think - pretty sure MacAskill bought him along to things from the beginning.

I was indeed very lucky to meet him. We can take some comfort from the fact he'd made peace with death through his panpsychism, though I don't really understand why people feel that way.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.