[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any books about what makes "literature" good? I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: adsf.png (182KB, 592x1032px) Image search: [Google]
adsf.png
182KB, 592x1032px
Any books about what makes "literature" good? I want to learn how to appreciate good books and tell them apart from bad ones.

When I finish reading something I only think it was meh. I never learnt on what makes a book good.

TL;DR: How to develop taste For Dummies
>>
>>9324015
If you like it it's good because it has served its purpose
>>
Poetics by Aristotle.
>>
>>9324122
Thanks but that is only about drama/poems.
I'm mainly looking for novels and stuff. prose works
>>
>>9324015
Lurk moar = read moar books.

Also, if you think the books you read are "meh"... it could be that they're "meh" books indeed. (I deduce this from the fact you only want to read novels.)
>>
File: 1491135848632.jpg (162KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1491135848632.jpg
162KB, 800x1000px
>>9324669
I don't read novels exclusively.
I just want more out of reading and appreciate books on a higher level.
>>
is this you?
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S9131625
>>
>>9324015
My honest advice is to read more. A good place to jump straight into the deep end is late 19th century Russian prose. There's some very good translations available, they tend to flow very well and be supremely readable, and they tackle some pretty heady themes. Learning to appreciate literature is something that can only be gained via reading a lot, and learning to recognize why, say, Notes from Underground is praised as one of the single best works ever written, and some dime-store schlock isn't.
>>
>>9324811
Thank you for the advice
>>
Basically, the only way to acquire taste is to consume only tasty things, i. e. read the classics (when it comes to literature), and a few select contemporary authors. But mostly the classics.

You'll have to rely on other people's judgement for a while (at least one or two years), then you'll see by yourself.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.