[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Donna Tartt? I haven't seen her

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Fabritius-vink.jpg (2MB, 1965x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Fabritius-vink.jpg
2MB, 1965x3000px
What does /lit/ think of Donna Tartt? I haven't seen her discussed on here before. I enjoyed The Secret History and The Goldfinch a lot, but that might just be because I can myself in the main characters in their loneliness.
>>
Formulaic with nothing important to say.
>>
I really enjoyed The Secret History, but for exactly the same reasons you said. I enjoyed the characters (bland as they may seem) and their progression - it`s one of the first books that I couldn't put down that I've read in a while - read it in one go throughout the night. Found it very artistically inspiring which was a bonus.
Of course I wouldn't ever call it a `good book` - its a fun book but does not bring about any revelations nor is it something that contributes to your perception of things.
>>
>>9323934
accurate. it's a great page-turner but not great art. I haven't read her others, they sound disappointing in comparison.
>>
>>9323230
Secret History was about elite college students with an elite professor that the protagonist envied. I learned from it that making a character the envy of the reader is a good strategy to get the reader to finish reading the book, because they just have to learn more about the life of this person they envy. Envy is about all I got from the book: envy for the rich, the brilliant, and those with priviledges, and the rest seemed trite murder mystery garbage.
>>
>>9323947
I also am having that problem. After hers I wanted to read more fun books (at Uni so having the time to spend noting and researching with other books isn't really available atm) but none have grabbed me quite like that. Currently running through the Mary Renault books.
>>
I feel the same as most snobs (good page turner, learned nothing grand but no regrets about reading it)

But I'm posting because as I was finishing the book I visited family in Chicago. They took us to the museum of art history, and the way Theo's obsession with furniture was described made me appreciate the furniture and art more than I otherwise would have I think. I noticed all the details that Theo noticed. The craftsmanship involved, the gender of pieces, the glamour. It made the experience better for me.
>>
>>9324233
Thats awesome! I never thought of it that way, that their interests could help influence my experience of the things they enjoyed.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.